Bubbles in wallpaper

The bottom of our cold water tank in the loft gave out through rust two months ago and sent 70 gallons of water pouring down through the house. Luckily enough I was home when it happened to turn off the mains water tap etc. otherwise the damage could have been much worse.

Everything has dried out now but the problem is that the wallpaper has bubbled on the landing and stairs and in a few other places. I do not want to to have to redecorate the whole stairwell so I was wondering if there was any way to repair these bubbles that avoided slicing open the wallpaper and brushing paste or wallpaper repair adhesive into the area?

For example, would it be possible to get a large syringe and inject adhesive into the bubble and solve the problem that way? Most of the wallpaper in question is anaglypta which has been painted with emulsion paint.

Thanks in advance,

Bren

Reply to
Bren

You could try the syringe/needle method on a small test area first but you will need a large bore needle to allow wallpaper paste through. If it works then do the rest that way, if it doesn't then slice each bubble open and brush paste under the flaps. With either method you will need to flatten the treated areas with either a wallpaper brush or seam roller. When the paste is dry the anaglypta will need painting over. If you just want to paint the treated area and not the whole wall make sure you stir the paint thoroughly otherwise the new paint may not match the old. Presumably an insurance claim for redecoration is not on the agenda.

Reply to
DIY