BT phone JB connections

I have snipped the BT line in the roof of my house to re route it due to extension work. I am a Virgin customer (come back Telewest) so may not need the BT line again (unless I go to Sky), but I want to make sure that it is reconnected correctly. There are however 3 or 4 yellow stands poking out of both snipped ends, presumably they are common so long as each yellow mates to an opposite yellow it should all work? Can anyone confirm this. ( I really enjoyed cutting that BT cable by the way)

Reply to
AJH

The cables are usually colour-coded so you just match the colours. Typical colours are: Blue with white bands (speech and ringing) Orange with white bands (ringing) White with orange bands (not used but usually connected for neatness) White with blue bands (speech and ringing)

If your cables have different colours/rings then it is just a case of pairing them up.

Reply to
DIY

The three wires that are the same colour (yellow in your case) are not supposed to be used as conductors at all, they are steel catenary wires used to suspend the dropwire. The orange / white and green / black pairs are the two lines.

A VM phone line is fine for SKY, unless you mean SKY Broadband of course.

Reply to
Graham

thanks all, the yellow catenary wires make sense as they are hard steel, and although I managed to connect them it wasn't easy! We are thinking of possibly switching to Sky broadband. Would this cable be suitable do you think as Graham's comment suggests possibly not? I am assuming that Sky broadband is transmitted through BT cables although we have a Virgin cable coming into the house also.

Reply to
AJH

All I meant was a VM line is just as good as a BT line for ordering movies etc. on a Sky box.

Sky Broadband needs a BT line, the same as any ADSL ISP.That wire is fine, as long as that joint you are making is sound, and is using a proper weatherproof box assuming it is outside.

Reply to
Graham

Cheers, I bought a connector box from Maplins and it is inside the loft space so hopefully should be ok then

Reply to
AJH