Broken mirror

Hi,

In one of our apartments we have a mirror as a splash back in the kitchen, behind the two plates on the oven. Today it cracked when one of the guests boiled an egg on one of the plates. Is this possible?? It has had a lot of cooking done over the winter and no problem ( we did not put the mirror). Has any one else had this happen to them?? Or is there special mirrors that are steam proof??

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

If, the mirror was very hot from previous cooking and the saucepan contained cold water and some splashed the glass, very easily.

If the mirror was cold and some boiling water was splashed onto it, very easily.

You can certainly get toughened, silvered, glass but, IIUC, it is very expensive. Most people use mirror-finish stainless steel and are careful not to scratch it.

Bathroom mirrors are "steamproof" - but won't take large, rapid, temperature changes, either.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Is it possible that there was a lid on the pan with the result that a jet of steam was being directed on to the mirror causing the mirror to crack?

Reply to
Phil Anthropist