British Gas Jobsworth

Page 1 of 4
Not DIY I know but could somebody give me an opinion please. I have a property that I rent out, I am the landlord. Apparantly the meter needs changing due to it's age (1992). The BG engineer came round yesterday to change it and said "I can't do that mate, lead piping on YOUR side" He pointed to the pipe from the meter to the house pipework. The lead pipe is screwed on both ends so no sweating was used to attatch it. Apparantly not to current regs. This pipe has been in as long as I have had the house (4 years) and presumably since the meter was put in 15+ yearsago. The BG man said it should be noticed on my next Gas Safety Check.
The conversation went as such.
Me: "OK, can you do it when you change the meter and bill me for the pipe and labour"? BG: "No, it isn't our responsibility, you need to get a CORGI registered engineer to do it" Me: "Are you not CORGI registered then"? BG: "Yes but I cannot do it, it is your responsibility" Me: "I am ASKING you to do it for me then please, I WILL pay you" BG: " I cannot do 'foreigners' Sir, it is more than my job's worth"! Me: "I am not asking for a 'guvvy job', can you do it please on behalf of BG and give me a bill"? BG: "No, it isn't our responsibility, you need to get a CORGI registered engineer to do it"
At which point I started losing the will to live and asked him to leave.
The pipe is approx 18" long and has large screw fitting , not unlike a compression fitting but bigger. Does anybody know a rough cost I should expect for doing this work as I cannot face calling BG to ask them!!
Cheers
John

The advice was very simple for you, call someone to change the pipe, then call BG and get the meter changed. It's not really worth a newsgroup post is it! He isn't a jobsworth, your "type" would be the first to complain and put in a compensation claim if there was an incident after the meter was changed. Health & Safety rules are important. If you want to put yourself and others at risk, it shows what sort of person you are.

H&S rules? LOL, the OP was asking the BG guy -a CORGI engineer- to fit it. Either you can't read or you are sarcastic about BG's ability -and CORGI engineers'- to fit a pipe.
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:27:16 +0000, Emil Tiades

Are BG engineers individually Corgi registered, or only 'covered' whilst working directly for Corgi-registered BG?
--
Frank Erskine

john wrote:

Yes it is. It raises a point many wern't aware of.

Who better to change a gas pipe than British Gas? (clue in the name).
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Wouldn't this have been a bloke from Transco rather than British Gas?

Transco was a gas transporter, now called National Grid UK. British Gas sell gas and deal with related services on the customers side of the meter. British Gas used to be the world's biggest integrated gas company with business interests in 54 countries. It covered everything from drilling for gas to domestic appliances. Now it is just a few call centres staffed by those that didn't pay enough attention at school and a man in a van with a spanner and a U gauge.
mark
Mark wrote: > Transco was a gas transporter, now called National Grid UK.
I saw from an earlier post, I didn't realise they'd dropped the Transco bit from their name.
British Gas

Yes, I know. My mistake was thinking that the meter was part of the network infrastructure rather than the supplier's equipment - which still seems nuts, given the logic of splitting transport from sales.
Mark says...

We had a pigeon get down the chimney at our old house. Someone said British Gas did a free "bird rescue" service. So I phoned them and they said someone would call around. A few hours later a bloke from Transo arrived and told me he could dismantle our brand new gas fire and remove it to get the bird out but not put it back together again as he wasn't Corgi qualified. I told him to sling his hook. The following day I got a proper Corgi gas fitter to come and release the bird.
Completely useless service if they just leave a pile of bits on the carpet and you've still got to get someone else in to finish the job. At least if the same person puts it back together that dismantles it there is a better chance of them doing it correctly.
--
David in Normandy

Snigger jobsworth
Well still of interest how arsey BG can be. Hes a corgi bod and won;t do the job. WTF
James wrote:

James,
After dealing with members of the public for many years on housing repairs, I would suggest that the 'gas man' in this case was himself in-between the proverbial 'rock and a hard place'.
If *there was* a problem with the lead pipe and he had changed it without the proper authorisation, then his 'arse' would have been left open to a kicking from his boss for any number of reasons - especially if something had gone wrong after he had left (whatever that was).
What if he had a rather tight schedule to keep and because he was delayed at this property, he could keep his next appointment (say at your house) until a few days later because of the 'knock on' effect of that problem? Interesting to say the least!
Also, if he *had* accepted this job as a 'foreigner' (yes I know the OP did not ask that) and then been reported for doing work on the side (this has been done in the past) - his punishment at the very least would be losing his job.
As I was not present to hear how the conversation had gone, I would suggest that from the given information, the 'gas man' was actually trying to help by saying that:
[a] there was a problem and why. [b] saying that he could not help. [c] and suggesting how it could be resolved.
Now I must ask the question - why didn't the OP ring the gas board himself to ascertain if:
[A] The 'gas man' was in fact correct about the lead fitting. [B] If he was correct, to arrange a quotation for BG to do the job (if that was his desire).
*IF* the 'gas man' was *not* correct, then I would expect his employer to take the appropriate action (rollicking etc) - and send him back to complete the job.
Note:
With regards to who actually deals with the gas meter, the information below had been taken from
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/About/About+Gas+Meters/
(I was redirected here from the now apparently defunct Transco site)
"Your gas supplier is responsible for providing a meter and organising for your meter to be read. You should contact your gas supplier for any issues regarding your gas meter. You will find contact details for your gas supplier on your gas bill."
BRG
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:32:53 -0000

Also he wouldn't be covered by any public liability insurance. His employer's insurance wouldn't cover him.

< snip >

I would expect insurance to cover just about every possibility - including the consequences of employees "breaking the rules". A company exposed to such potentially horrendous consequences if something goes wrong would be potty not to have adequate cover.
--
Martin

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:54:13 UTC, "Martin"

It would cover his employer, but probably not him. In other words, the insurance company might be entitled to recover from him.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:54:13 GMT

fitter would be the one left holding the baby. Insurance companies are not noted for being philanthropic institutions
alert wrote:

A moot point since the OP wanted to contract BG to do the work through official channels; just with the expedient of using the man actually on site at the time to do the work rather than arrange a number of separate visits etc.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:41:30 +0000, John wrote:

==================================It seems to me that in this instance the BG employee acted very properly and in your best interests. British Gas, like any other business, are entitled to choose which work they do and they seem to have made it very plain that they do not do work on a customer's pipework. The BG employee doesn't make the rules so he couldn't do the job without authority and he declined the opportunity to do a 'cash-in-hand' foreigner which could have compromised both himself and yourself.
Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux

Read the Op again .A " cash in hand" foreigner was not being asked for .
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:12:17 +0000, wrote:

=================================I don't need to re-read the OP because I'm well aware that 'cash-in-hand' was not being *asked for* . What I said was that the BG employee had an easy *opportunity* to offer such an arrangement but did not do so. Many less honest tradesmen would have taken advantage of the situation to pocket a fee dishonestly and improperly.
Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux