Brickwork - an opinion please

Page 1 of 2

This is not really a DIY question but it seems an appropriate place to post my question, so here goes:-
I am having a garage conversion done by a local builder (who has a good reputation). Yesterday some bricks were laid but I am quite concerned that they are not a match with the existing house bricks. The builder is due back tomorrow and I need to know how to play it, i.e. do I insist that it is re-done? The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet and had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to match the house, is that correct?
I don't want to kick up a fuss unless it is justified.
The following link points to a photo of the work:-
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clive_smith/detail?.dir=/1fa9&.dnm50e.jpg&.src=ph&.tok=phqzd7DB5pCHKeUdI would appreciate some feedback.Thanks,- Clive
Clive wrote:

Have you tried drying the face off one of the bricks to see if it makes a difference?

Is he suggesting that you had taken the bricks of your house and put them inside to keep them dry whilst it was raining?

NO! READ the message again. Incase you missed it -
"The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet and had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to match the house, is that correct?"
You need to work out the difference from what the actual wording is from what you would like it to be in order to have an excuse to send an irrelevant message out.
The answer is that the bricks will fade to match, but common sense would tell people to dry one out as a test first. Has it been raining and have the bricks been outside in the rain? As none of us in the group can see the bricks then it is difficult to advise really, you are better speaking to the builder when he turns up. If you have an agreement in writing with him that the colour of the bricks must match existing brick work then there is no problem. You do have an agreement I hope!

So why are the bricks of the house a different colour?

I apologise for not making it simpler for you to undrstand.
Clive wrote:

g&.src=ph&.tok=phqzd7DB5pCHKeUdI
In all fairness its very hard to find bricks that will match that of a house that was built 10 years ago? unless you can find the supplier that made those bricks. To me they look as if when dry will match the existing brickwork. -- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
SNIP

A very good guess regarding the build date - it was in fact ten years ago last month that the house was built!
- C.

That's quick work - built in a month...... :-)
--
Martin

[Remove barrier to reply]
On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:59:48 -0000, "Clive"

days\\weeks but they will dry to match.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clive_smith/detail?.dir=/1fa9&.dnm50e.jpg&.src=ph&.tok=phqzd7DB5pCHKeUdI

Get him to leave a brick and put it in the oven at a low gas, or electric 100 deg. for a couple of hours and allow to cool to see if the colour goes lighter.
bland

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clive_smith/detail?.dir=/1fa9&.dnm50e.jpg&.src=ph&.tok=phqzd7DB5pCHKeUdI

==============There's also a few gallons of water in the mortar which bleeds onto the brick faces as the whole wall dries out so I doubt if you've got anything to worry about. As far as can be seen from your picture the builder appears to have made quite a good job of the brickwork (nicely keyed in) so he's probably got the bricks right as well.
Cic.
Cicero wrote:

few days if they have been soaked long and hard. But the headers showing on the old brikwork at the join seem to show that there will be a fair bit of difference.
I doubt that you will get any better done though. Even using bricks from the same delivery, you will get visible discrepancies if the bricks are not selected a few from each pallet for each load. It would be easier to get matching compo but even that might be impossible.
You'd beter start thinking of training a cherry or some ivy. He shouldn't have told you he could get a perfect match and I somehow doubt he really did.

I have seen some horrendous matches between bricks that are of the same variety/ pattern and from the same manufacturer. Those in your project don't look too bad to my eye and may well dry out to a closer colour match as your builder suggests. They do also appear to be the same "sort" of brick as in the main body of the house. Do you have any reason to suspect that this may not be so?
Looking ahead a little, if you do tell the builder to stop work and obtain the "correct" bricks and he says these are the correct bricks, where do things go from there? You probably have to prove your point and find the "correct" bricks or face the forthcoming dispute. If you feel that the match is unacceptable and you do not believe the "drying out" theory then you must object, but if you do object either you or the builder must employ an alternative strategy, as an objection, in itself, will not provide alternative/ acceptable bricks, or complete your project.
We would all like the bricks in extensions/ modifications on our houses to be undetectable from the originals, in practice this is rarely the case as manufacturing variations over the course of time frequently render perfection impossible. As I sit here typing this I have in sight a house frontage where an extension has been erected. The extension was built 40 years after the house was erected and so matching was almost impossible. When it was originally built (10 years or so), the new section was quite glaringly different but now the difference is still visible but far less obvious than it was.
Sorry it can't be a yes/ no answer but there can't be one without letting the bricks settle to their final colour and even then it has to be your opinion and no-one else's. Hope this may clarify the matter a little.
Regards
Pilgarlick
SNIP
It seems to me that there is quite a range of colours to be found in both the original and the new bricks. It should fit in well I think. I had a similar problem, where I live the builders built 6 terraces/blocks of flats in different colours of brick, but they only used 5 colours. On the 6th, they used a mixture of all 5 colours. Guess which one I live in?
Also remember that even if you knew which brick Co made the original bricks, they may no longer be available.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@spamlessness.co.uk says...

exactly the same as the clay they were using when the originals were produced.

Looks like he has used the correct bricks - but remember near anything outside 'weathers' over a period of time. So if after a reasonable time for things to dry out if it still stands out the only alternative might be to have the rest of that wall cleaned.
--
*If you remember the \'60s, you weren\'t really there

would appreciate some feedback.Thanks,- Clive

should tell you the answer.
SNIP
I am encouraged by the number of people who seem to think that they will fade as time goes by.
The builder told me they were the best match he could get - I have no reason whatsoever to doubt his word that they will fade over time - I was just seeking a second opinion. The builder has an excellent reputation locally so I am sure it will all work out okay.
I just get into a panic easily ;-)
Thanks to everyone for your comments.
- C.
PS.
I like the suggestion about drying one out in the oven....just got to convince the wife that I am have not completely lost the plot when I ask whether I can bake a brick for a couple of hours....

If all else fails, you may be able to change the colour of the bricks by rubbing their surface with some suitable material. Quite what I'm not sure, but some kind of suitably coloured dust might work, e.g. concrete colourant applied very sparsely. The bricks look as though they need lightening, so a red/russet colourant mixed with grey/white cement to suit and dusted on sparsely in a muslin bag might work. Very experimental though!
Andy.
Clive wrote:

Tell her it can't be worse than her rock buns...
Owain