Boundary brickwork

Are there any real guidelines for this?

My detached garage forms a boundary to my neighbour. Is he permitted to make holes in the brickwork/masonry in order to make fixings etc. (for himself).

- I wouldn't mind so much (I'd not even know) but it looks like he has fixed a particularly offensive light to it.

I can't imagine this is permitted in the normal course of events, what about damage/ingress etc. I'd not appreciate him hanging anything substantive off one of my wall (if it were the house, say).

BTW am I responsible for painting the boards that lye solely within his property?

Reply to
William4

No

But if he erected a thin pole an inch from your wall and put this light on it he would be within his rights and the difference to you would be negligible. Is it worth the hassle?

If he damages your house, he's responsible.

What boards? Barge boards do you mean? If so, no. They are yours and your responsibility. But he should let you over to paint them from time to time.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Thanks.

Reply to
William4

I don't know about the regs, but simple good manners would suggest he should have talked to you before doing the job to see if you objected. He would certainly be responsible for any damagew that occurred as a result, but proving it may be a different matter. I would take pictures now before the light falls off, leaving you with a gaping hole. If you weere the nasty vindictive type, you could drill through from your side in exactly the same spot(s) and then push it off the wall, maybe while he was watching, that would be a good "you've been framed" moment.

But anyway, are you generally on good terms? It may be an idea to talk to him and say you'd like to be consulted first.

I would say not.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

No.

Doesn't sound like a particularly good neighbour.

Are you talking about boards on the garage? In which case, it's unlikely that they are on his property - your garage should not overhange the boundary - they are your concern.

Reply to
On Web

having got in a terrible boundary dispute with my new neighbour id advise you to double check the deeds, if the foundation of the garage is a bit wider than the brickwork i'd guess that the foundation is inside the boundary...

lawyers are expensive

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

I would say you are.

Look at it this way, if its a wall of your garage and only your garage then any part of that wall is yours. Ok you don't HAVE to do anything with it. But if its yours, is your neighbour going to spend time and money painting it? If he doesn't it will rot away, then you will have a bigger problem.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Thanks all. Been away - hence delay.

Yes those are the 'boards' I refer to - it was a btw question in case it crops up; he might just ask me to get painting!

The builders were *very* scant in their regard for boundary lines, some fences are designated dual responsibility which could be rather awkward. One of our low fences is actually a good 6" inside any boundary line but it all makes sense to leave it alone.

The garage is solely mine and I expect the true line to be some 6-12" away but it's not like I can use the space. But I could really do with some recognised write up that says he ought not to fix lights etc before I ask him nicely in case it isn't so.

Yes, he could 'pole' it, but I doubt he will and, no, I'll not be drilling through from the inside.

Reply to
William4

My statement about the pole was simply to make an example to help clarify your thinking, rather than suggest he would actually do this.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham