Boiler top-up valve knob broken off

While I was topping up my combi-boiler as the pressure had fallen, the blue plastic 'tap' under the boiler broke off (before I managed to turn it on, thankfully). It broke in two and came away from the screw which controls the flow. It rarely needs topping up but not sure what I will do next time I need to - not sure how another plastic tap could be attached onto it, so any suggestions - is this going to be an expensive repair.
As a matter of interest, what would have happened if it had broken off when it was 'on'?
Thanks
Alex

Buy another valve and take the knob off it. They're not expensive.

Depends what you did next.
--
Andrew Gabriel