Boiler question

Whilst I am quite happy to replace the odd tap or 'plumb-in' a new washing machine, I am no plumber so would welcome a bit of advice from some of the many here who know far more about it than I do.

My friend has the usual type of open-vented hot water system. He has a hot water cylinder in the airing-cupboard which is fed from a header tank in the loft. For some time he has been thinking of making a new entrance to his bathroom through the airing-cupboard, which obviously means that the hot water cylinder would have to be moved. The problem is he has nowhere else to site it, so has been looking for some alternative system that doesn't require a storage tank. He doesn't have gas, so (I think?) that rules out one of these combination boiler - is that correct?

He had thought about putting it in the loft - alongside the header tank, but doesn't one have to be higher than the other?

As I said, he has been thinking about this for some time. However, his header tank has just developed a small leak (in the body of the thing, so not really repairable), so needs replacing. This has sort of brought matters to a head, obviously he needs to do something fairly quickly, but is reluctant to spend money on a new tank when he would like to get rid of it, and the hot water cylinder, altogether.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Reply to
Farmer Giles

There are some electric boilers on the following link that might be suitable, but by getting rid of the conventional system, would he lose the advantage of any 'economy 7' type savings?

(WaterHeaters)

Reply to
Harry Stottle

(WaterHeaters)

Thanks for that, we'll have a look at these boilers. You are spot with the economy 7 point - that will be quite a drawback, as at present he does use the off-peak supply to heat his hot water. Getting rid of the airing-cupboard and making the new bathroom entrance would be tremendously useful, but on balance losing the economy 7 advantage would be worthwhile.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

(WaterHeaters)

I suppose if the boilers are well insinuated, and a larger capacity one chosen, they could be set to come on mainly overnight to give some economy 7 benefits, but I cannot see any details about the insulation properties on the site.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

(WaterHeaters)>

Would it be worth doing the sums for an oil boiler...? If all heating and HW is electric, and he's got to spend some money anyway, the payback may be fairly quick - especially if you include enhanced property value.

And is gas out of the question - if nearest supply pipe isn't too far away, I think you can claim free connection...

Reply to
Martin

(WaterHeaters)>> Thanks for that, we'll have a look at these boilers. You are spot with the

There is no mains gas in the area where he lives. I don't think oil is a viable option, because heating is by wood burning stove - with economy

7 storage heaters - so it is only hot water that is required.
Reply to
Farmer Giles

(WaterHeaters)>

Do you think it would be acceptable to site one in the loft - where the header tank is now - in a specially built, and insulated, cupboard?

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Mains pressure unvented cylinder in the loft. Not a DIY job though as I belive they need a ticket to install them.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

(WaterHeaters)>>

Sorry, can't help on that, it is just something that I was considering once, but I had forgotten about till your post reminded me, so I did a search and found that site, I like the idea of the insulated cupboard though :-)

Reply to
Harry Stottle

ARWadworth was thinking very hard :

What about something like this?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Edwards

I think the bottom immersion heater is usually used during the Economy 7 period, and the one half way up will be a smaller element used to top up the hot water heating during the day, (so it mainly heats the water at the top of the tank).

Reply to
Harry Stottle