Boiler maintenance check

I had yearly check on CH boiler yesterday by Gas Board engineer. He finished check about 11.0am.I was out at the time but in afternoon I did think house was a bit warm but did not check thermostat until after 6.0pm and found that thermostat was turned up to 25* C.Engineer obviously did that when checking out boiler and forgot to turn it back.If I had been at home I would no doubt have checked thermostat when he left.Why I am giving this is to get views on whether I should do anything about it,e.g.maybe ask Gas Board for a few pound to cover cost of gas used.

allan

Reply to
allan

Allan,

Acting the devil's advocate (if that's the expression).

Was the engineer at the house alone during the service? If he was not alone, then the accompanying person (relative/neighbour) would have been aware of the temperature of the room and turned the thermostat (room stat?) down. If he was alone, why leave the premises during the service?

If he was accompanied, then would that person not have turned the boiler off or back onto the timem switch - especially if he/she was a normal occupant of the property?

Also, why did you not check the thermostat when you thought the house was "a bit warm" when you returned, rather than wait until after 6.00 pm and mitigated your loss?

You could try asking the gas board for a few quid, but expect to have to answer a few questions along the lines of the above - especially as you had noticed the higer temperature some time before you turned it down.

Pesonally, I wouldn't even bother as you'll probably waste even more money by waiting for ages trying to contact someone on the Indian (I think it's an offshore service now) helpline who probably wouldn't understand what you were trying to do anyway.

Best of luck

Reply to
Brian G

Forget about it. I doubt you lost more than a pound.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
allan

After sorting out a slight gas leak at my meter, my engineer had switched off the electricity supply to my boiler during his tests and then forgot to switch it back on again. Does this mean that I now owe him money for the saving in gas for the few hours until I realised the problem and switched it back on again? On a previous visit, when I had a new boiler installed, my thermostat was left at 30 deg. Had to spend the whole evening stripped to my underpants before I realised what the problem was!

Please get a life Allan!

Terry

Reply to
Terry D

The BG engineer that did my boiler service a couple of months ago fiddled with the clock and left the hot water on all day! I normally have it come on for about half an hour twice daily, since I don't use that much hot water. It took me a few days to notice this, mainly because I heard the system working when it shouldn't have been.

Is there an evil plot to make people use more gas, I wonder? I don't trust these big multi-national corporations any more .... and I think they're really about as "green" as my cat, and more interested in ££££s !!!

Always by cynical, and watch the b&ggers!

Barb

Reply to
Barb