boiler advice

My Potterton floor standing 19 year old boiler has broken down and have been told this morning that it is not repairable. Please tell me if you have any recommndations of floor standing boilers and where to buy them from at discounted price? Thanks.

Reply to
SH

Which may well not be true, particularly if the advice came from British Gas. What model is it, what were the fault symptoms, and what were you told was broken in it?

Are you intending to install it yourself? Otherwise the installer will probably source the boiler for you.

If you re-post to uk.d-i-y with all the extra info I mention above, you will probably gets lots of useful responses.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

New regs coming in about now .will insist you have a "efficient " condenser boiler. These boilers cost less to run...........but are more "highly tuned" and complex so they will/do break down more often. So what you save on gas bills.you will probably spend on call outs and break downs.The "old fashioned boilers" are bullet proof and simple condenser ones are not favoured by most of the plumbers I know. But of course they meet new government standards.......that's progress for you!

Barry

Reply to
bs

No it wasn't British Gas. (I watch Rogue Traders!). I have an insurance with Dom & General and they sent their own chosen plumber round - First Response who said that it is up to me as to whether I ask them to fit a new boiler. I now have to wait to hear from the insurance company and see what they have to offer. The fault is "heat exchanger leaking causing seals to perish away". I am doing preliminary research as I have no idea which are the currently recommended boilers to replace the aged Potterton Kingfisher (can't see the model no. but we have a fairly large 4 bedroom detached house which it has coped with very well without any problems for 19 years!). Thanks for your help. I shall post on uk.d-i-y when I receive the letter from insurance company. What is the difference between these two newsgroups?

Reply to
SH

It is a Kingfisher RS 100.

Reply to
SH

new regs brought in april 1st.state that a replacement boiler is to be high efficiency model (condensing) usually wall mounted or combi boiler-----very few floor standing models available now i concur with earlier messages -----new boilers are very good when they are working but be prepared for bills for breakdowns

Reply to
jeff stonehouse

The early condensing domestic boilers fitted in the UK were the initial attempts by the UK traditional boiler manufacturers, and they were poor reliability. However, condensing boilers have been required in some other EU countries for 10 years, and these do not have such reliability problems as they were worked out of the designs many years ago. However, these manufacturers were not generally known to UK plumbers, and so their products were not selected. This is becoming less true now, and the UK manufacturers are ironing out the initial design problems in their own condensing boilers. Also there's Keston, a UK manufacturer of large commercial condensing boilers for some years, who introduced a smaller model for domestic use some 5 years ago, although they don't do a combi version being mainly a commercial boiler manufacturer.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel