Best coving adhesive

Hi,
Having my first attempt at putting coving up (paper covered plaster stuff) and been told that the coving adhesive goes off very quickly. Tiling adhesive has been suggested as a better alternative. Does this sound reasonable or is there anything better,
Cheers,
Graham.
Have used ready mixed tile adhesive myself to good effect but to give it time to go off I also use long panel pins or nails (2" or more) every 2 or 3 feet to fix the coving to the wall firmly, then fill the gaps (no walls or ceilings are true) when the adhesive has gone off.
Hope this helps
Alan