Bedroom wall lights

Hello (again!),

While it's fresh in my head, here's another electrical question:

Going to redecorate the master bedroom very soon. Thought I might as well take the opportunity to put some wall-mounted bedside lamps in, with dimmer switches below. I don't think I'll bother making them 2-way with a master switch at the door... it seems more trouble than it's worth to me.

This is going to sound like a very simple question but better safe than sorry especially where electricity is concerned!

I've wired lights before just using the usual junction box method, but since the light and the switch are going to be so close together, can anyone see a problem with the following:

Fit junction boxes in the lighting loop, above the wall cavity in the loft, one for each lamp.

For each light, drop a twin and earth down the wall. Neutral goes straight to the light. Live and earth continues down to the switch below and then back up to the light.

Seems completely straightforward to me but I thought I'd better get a second opinion first!

Cheers,

Reply to
Chris M

Oh, and another thing:

Should I splice into the wiring loop to put the junction boxes in (i.e. maintaining the loop), or is it safe to take a spur off an existing junction box for these two lights?

Reply to
Chris M

Lighting circuits aren't rings/loops (or at least it's not the norm) so just spur off wherever is convenient. You need to check that you don't have too many lights on one circuit though, I think the rule of thumb is to calculate the load as if you have a 100 watt lamp at each fitting. On a 6 amp circuit that allows something like 15 lamps and on a ten amp circuit it's about 25.

Reply to
tinnews

Brill, that makes things easier then, thanks for that.

Reply to
Chris M

Sounds fine, and so does Mr Greens advice about loading and spurs off lighting circuits.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth