Battery voltage check- query

A friend asked me to charge his 12 Volt battery and when I came to check it after being on charge my meter showed no volts but the leads became very hot so I disconnected. Can anyone give me an explanation Blair
bm wrote:

You have a meter lead plugged in the 10/20A socket on the meter.
-- Sue

Thanks Sue. I feel very foolish!! Kind regards Blair