Battery Charger Repair ?

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that need repairing.
Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.
Each battery charger new is about 145 and I don't really fancy binning them.
--
the_constructor

Try a local TV&Video repair shop? and if they don't they will probably put you onto a shop/person that does.
the_constructor wrote:

They are usually perfectly normal sealed lead acid chargers (24v or 12v). Maplin do a rather nice one (L16BQ) for <60GBP, if push comes to shove and you need a 12v unit.
You may find that your local REMAP panel have contacts that can get them mended for free/ not a lot. It's the sort of thing I do for my local panel.
I've got several scooter chargers in stock - but they are all 24v units and are moulded units that are normally built-in to the scooter.
--
Sue

Have you had a look inside them? If you tell us what's in there, we might be able to help *you* fix them.

sealed unit full of electronics probably these days. Without test meters you can't check the rectifier unit or the electronics and if the transformer isn't burnt out you are stumped.
--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Cerumen wrote:

As stated in a previous post, I have several mobility scooter chargers. They are all switch-mode.
--
Sue

Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Cerumen wrote:

I think there's been some serious changes in the chargers used for scooters in the past few years. We recently bought a new mobility scooter, and the charger doesn't look much different to the charger for our laptop. Obviously the plug where it connects to the battery is different, but other than that, it's a world of difference from the big bulky car-battery style charger that the old scooter came with. Oddly, the plug on this charger is exactly the same as the ones fitted on microphone cables.
--
http://www.norfolklupus.co.uk
http://www.thebooknook.co.uk
Cerumen wrote:

Huh? most of the ones I have seen for lead acid anyway are just transformer rectifiers..with enough impedance in them to reduce to trickle as the battery voltage nears 'fully charged'
Nickel cells unless you want fast charging are just low constant current things.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The "impedance in them" limits the initial charging current. It does not cause the current to reduce to a trickle.
Trickle chargers limit the current to a trickle at all times. They are safe enough, but will typically take >10 hours to charge a battery.
Cheap "transformer rectifier" chargers are unregulated. They may easily charge at too high a rate during initial charge and have too high an output voltage to leave "charging", once the battery is charged. The final "trickle" charge is determined by the charger output voltage - not the "impedance".
--
Sue

Palindrome wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nope. The impedance of the supply has to be low to deliver a high normal charging current. Unless that impedance is altered as the battery reaches its charged state (ie not a cheap transformer-rectifier charger), the supply impedance remains low - too low to affect the trickle current level.
--
Sue

Palindrome wrote:

You forget that I=Vdiff/R..drive from a low voltage and the current reduces as the battery charges. However in theory at least, and rather horrendously in practice sometimes, a low power supply impedance will ultimately end up in I tending to infinity with the usual result..
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nope. The I decreases because the Vdiff decreases - not because R increases. R remains constant. Even cheap chargers usually limit Imax for high VDiff - too many people connect chargers to car batteries with the 6v<>12v slide switch set incorrectly. Things have moved on from selenium rectifiers and moving iron meters..
However, the basic point is that "cheap and cheerful" car battery chargers should not be used with batteries of the type normally fitted to mobility scooters. It certainly can end up with things heading towards infinity - such as bits of the battery. ;)
--
Sue

snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk wrote:

are its a blade type thing in the output

Blade type thing? you mean the finned rectifier.
Hell man technology has advanced dramatically since the ford popular days
George wrote:

Look in the fusebox of any modern car..
George wrote:

However, some preset output chargers use a resistor built into a "blade-type fuse" link to set the charging profile and even battery type.
They come with a range of different links for the new owner to choose from.
A third party, seeing one of these and thinking it just a fuse, could cause a lot of damage replacing it with one..
--
Sue

No - I would say that he's talking about the fuse, wouldn't you if you'd actually read what he wrote

--
geoff

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:45:47 +0100, "the_constructor"

That sounds like a ripoff. A quick search seems to prove it http://www.powadrive.co.uk/shop/details.php?prodId (&category=6
And even that seems a bit heavy.
The scooters I've seen both used sealed 12 volt lead acid batteries. A normal car charger would have charged them.
Try a local auto electrician if you must have them fixed but I'd nip into the local car accessory shop and just get normal charger. Or buy one of those 26.50 ones