bathroom tiles

I'm about to rip out the old bathroom and put in a new suite. I'd like to put a 6" shelf accross the back and in front of the long sides of the bath (the ends butt up to the walls)
I presume I construct framework from some 2 x 1, but do I need anything special to tile onto? can I just use some plywood to form the shelf prior to tiling ? And the panel side, can I use plywood here too?
also, the bath itself, should the lip butt up to the framework, or should it sit on it? the latter would not allow movement when filled, so I've probably answered my own question here.
Thanks in advance.
--
Vass

Vass wrote:

I have just removed a bath from my bathroom that had a similar setup, but with deeper shelves and a shower above the bath. The shelf was made of gyproc with tiles on top. The job failed due to the fact that the water was able to sit on the tiles (no run-off), and because there was no tanking installed underneath the tiles.
For your job I would build a frame as you mentioned, but would incorporate a slight fall so that any water runs off into the bath. I would either use a special tile backer board or marine ply with tanking on top. I would also use a good flexible waterproof tile adhesive like Flexigrip to allow for any slight movement in the bath or timber after fixing.
I'm not sure about whether the shelf should sit on the bath or lie flush with it.
HTH, John

Thanks John The run off was alerady a thought, thanks for the confirmation, not too steep I hope, the wine glass might slide off :-) I will hunt around for this gyproc stuff, any ideas where i might find some info on "tanking" the tiles ? thanks again
--
Vass

Vass wrote:

Hi,
Don't hunt for gyproc, that's just plasterboard. It is a tile backer board that you are looking for. I'm not sure exactly what the best angle would be, but I don't think that the wine glass or the shampoo will be in danger.
Here is a link to someone using tanking in a wet room. You just paint the stuff on and it keeps the water out.
http://www.roman-showers.com/wetrooms%20LAYOUT.pdf
If the tiles are just going to get the odd splash then you don;t need to bother, but if there is going to be a shower there, then it is probably worth it.
John