bathroom flooring

i am having a new bathroom fitted and can't make my mind up to have a tiled floor or a vinyl floor. It won't be having underfloor heating so i thought the vinyl option would be warmer under foot. Any advice would be appreciated.

chris

Reply to
chris

Tiles will be cold and will need considerable reinforcement of the floor (assuming a wooden floor). I would go for vinyl.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Agree with Bob. Vinyl is the sensible and practical choice. Tiles do look classy though.

When I did my en-suite (Mrs midge wanted tiled floor to match walls) the central heating fitters had made a mess of the floorboards so there was too much flexing in too many places so I had to board out (and chop 20mm off bottom of door, and plane a little wooden ramp to go under the adjoining room carpet so there was no step up to trip over in middle of night!).

Tiles are fine through the summer - but I put heating under for winter use, because they are just too cold.

Also consider what is running under the floor and whether access might be needed at any point. That would tend to steer you away from a permanent solution like tiles (though there are ways to keep a method of access - I have a row of tiles along one edge of the room on their own section of board that can be got up easily if needed.).

Another idea is bathroom grade (i.e. water resistent) laminate/engineered flooring. That way you get a classier look, but warm under foot.

Midge.

Reply to
Midge

Cork tiles are cosy, Just don't be mean with the number of coats of polyurethane and put it on generously enough that it gets into all the minute crevices to seal against moisture.

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P

Agreed - and even better they're completely unfashionable ATM so you'll probably beat the fashionistas next craze (I'm painting the all my rooms magnolia in the hope it completely p*****s of LLB).

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Fashion-schmashion, they're cosy. long-lasting, easy to clean, you can put rugs on them - well, in this case a very big bath-mat........ And as you say fashions come and go Anything that's well out of fashion now will probably be due for an ironic revival by rebel artist types... ... closely followed by designers ... then the expensive magazines ...and then the home show programmes.

And then when even the common people have them they'll go out of fashion again :)

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P