bathroom condensation

How do I minimise/prevent condensation dripping from the toilet cistern after having a bath? Don't suggest having a shower :-) Thanks....Eric
Eric Hall wrote:

Basically, stop the warm damp air from meeting a cold, thermally conductive, surface.
SO, you could:
1) paint the cistern in micro polystyrene-ball loaded paint - which would reduce its thermal conductivity.
2) box it in with something that is a poor conductor of heat
3)remove the water-vapour loaded air with an extraction system
4) heat the exterior of the cystern (if not metal) - a couple of well-directed low voltage angled down-lighters may be enough. If metal, forget it - it will lose heat to the water inside too quickly.
5) de-humidify the air by intercepting it with a something that will cause condensation earlier
6) constain the damp air, fitting glass doors along the bath (like a shower) will do - particularly in combination with an extractor fan.
7) run cold water into the bath first, to minimise the problem.
8) have cold baths - or colder.
9) only take baths in the Summer.
10 ) share with a neighbour.
11) intercept the drips with a wall-mounted tray and small waste-pipe
12) fit a low level cistern, assuming you have a high level one
13) regularly spray the cistern with "anti-droplet" car windscreen cleaner. This will minimise the number of condensation focii.
14) stick rows of draught-excluding self-adhesive foam tape in a pretty pattern on the cistern. They will both absorb some condensate in the foam and channel the remainder to somewhere less likely to drip on you.
Will that do for starters?
--
Sue

right............number 1.......
:-) thanks for those. This newsgroup is great don't you think :-) Eric

I also have this problem. Are your cisterns, like mine, fed direct from the rising main? I've been considering feeding them from the tank in the loft instead, this way hopefully the water will be a few degrees warmer and the temp. difference will be smaller.
What do others think of this idea?
Steve

Ours is filled from the cold water tank and it takes ages to fill up. I wouldn't recommend it, especially as it still gets condensation.
Mike
| How do I minimise/prevent condensation dripping from the toilet cistern | after having a bath? | Don't suggest having a shower :-) | Thanks....Eric | | I know one thing....as I have had this problem for ages and still not done anything about it. So I'm glad this subject has come up. The problem needs to be sorted and not left as long as I have left it. Shamefully the lovely antique pine wooden floor has rotted away, The wall paper is black with mildew even though the paper has a polystyrene lining underneath, so cold walls are not a problem. I dread anyone asking to use our toilet because of the damage. And when it is dripping at its worse you simply sit on the pan and enjoy a, if somewhat, cold shower at the same time! It is that bad.
I MUST do something about this soon!

of
open the flipping window immediately after your bath?
| || open the flipping window immediately after your bath? | Wish it was that simple Pammy! But its not just the bath or shower it seems the cisten is dripping all the time, and, NO its not leaking. Windows are open most of the time. Praps it might be best to not pull the chain so that it refill with more cold water.

seems
that
Mine used to do the same until I left a vent window open and immediately after my shower open the big window wide to let the moist air out. The fact that you say the wood has rotten and you have black mildew on the wallpaper says simply that there is not enough ventilation in the room so that moist air is trapped and causing the problems. Perhaps you could have an extractor fan put into one of the windows and leave it on all the time to draw out the damp air?

it
Ahh now it's clear. You have fallen into the trap a lot of people fall into. So scared of losing any heat that they hermetically seal themselves in and wonder why they have condensation problems. If you left the extractor fan on when the bathroom was being used you wouldn't be sucking all the warm air out of the house, just the damp air from the bathroom. You don't have to put it in a wall, you can buy cheap ones which mount in a window. Mould spores and damp air are not only very bad for your health but bad for the structure of your home too. Personally every morning, no matter how cold, I open all the doors and windows downstairs for a good blow through even if it is only for 5 minutes. Then I close them and pout the heating back on. I do this because I hve lots of pets and with all of us breathing in the house it will cause harmful condensation. 50 years ago there wasn't as much of a problem with condensation because windows weren't double glazed and open fires ensured that damp warm air went up the chimney.

You really need to think sensibly about it. We only have 4 months of summer at most in this country and 8 of cold damp weather . If you are one of those afraid of fresh air, who seal themselves into their home it really isn't healthy.
| | > What you say is quite true about moist air being trapped and the need for | it | > to be expelled. People had suggested a fan extractor of somesort. It is | > something that I will have to consider sometime. Our walls are 18 inches | > thick as its an old stone house and I dont fancy hammering my way through | > all that. In any case I have always felt that the fan is also sucking all | > the warm air out of the house.
| Ahh now it's clear. You have fallen into the trap a lot of people fall | into. So scared of losing any heat that they hermetically seal themselves in | and wonder why they have condensation problems. If you left the extractor | fan on when the bathroom was being used you wouldn't be sucking all the warm | air out of the house, just the damp air from the bathroom. You don't have to | put it in a wall, you can buy cheap ones which mount in a window. | Mould spores and damp air are not only very bad for your health but bad for | the structure of your home too.
I guess there must be truth in that, its unsightly as well
| Personally every morning, no matter how cold, I open all the doors and | windows downstairs for a good blow through even if it is only for 5 minutes. | Then I close them and pout the heating back on. I do this because I hve lots | of pets and with all of us breathing in the house it will cause harmful | condensation. | 50 years ago there wasn't as much of a problem with condensation because | windows weren't double glazed and open fires ensured that damp warm air went | up the chimney. |
lol... Our house is all secondary double glazed AND has open fires too. I think that some moisture in the air cannot be all bad. I would rather that than a completely dry atmousphere to breath.
| >So I guess its a question of balancing things | > out a bit. Ahh well roll on summer and the problem will be negible for | > another few months. Thanks for your suggestions. | You really need to think sensibly about it. We only have 4 months of summer | at most in this country and 8 of cold damp weather . If you are one of those | afraid of fresh air, who seal themselves into their home it really isn't | healthy. | Tis very true I'll have to do summat about it, promis!

<gives the 'mum knows best' look> Well just make sure you do sonny!! ;-) You can always keep the bathroom door closed while the fan is on, ensuring you don't get all the warm air sucked out of the house in a big gulp by the small window fan :-)) As long as you don't get a cheap reconditioned fan from B.A. or easyjet, I think your warm air is perfectly safe lol.
Install some heating and an extractor fan.
| How do I minimise/prevent condensation dripping from the toilet cistern | after having a bath? | Don't suggest having a shower :-) | Thanks....Eric | |

Open the window to let the steam out, or fit an extractor fane to suck it out.