Bad Smelling Fridge

At the back of my fridge is a plastic "tray" which sits above the motor. This tray is collecting a really bad smelling brown paste. Where it comes from I don't know. No smell from inside of fridge. Any ideas how to stop this?

TIA, Mike.

Reply to
MSM

This is a frost free fridge, and the tray catches the water that runs down from the cooling panel inside the fridge when it starts its short defrost period. The heat from the compressor motor evaporates the water off into the air outside the fridge to get rid of it.

Make sure the guttering and drain-off pipe at the bottom of the cooling panel inside the fridge compartment is properly clean and clear of debris.

Clean out the tray with a solution of washing-up liquid and hot water, then place some bi-carbonate of soda in the tray after it has dried to keep any further smells away, for a few years more at least.

Reply to
BigWallop

I had the same thing with our fridge recently. The smell was horrible. Eventually, I traced it to a opened tin of evaporated milk which had leaked, went down the pipe into the tray and then the heat from the motor made it stink.

ken

Reply to
ken