Artex...

Is there an easy way of remove artex off the ceiling? Detestable stuff.....
Despina wrote:

A wallpaper steamer&scraper and hard graft. Otherwise plaster skimmed over.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Thank you:)
"Despina" wrote:

Artex should be banned.
You have 4 options: 1. Steam stripper and scraper (takes forever, very messy, and can be dangerous) 2. Skim over with plaster (easiest and cheapest method) 3.X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover - http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/e/ECOXTEX / 4. Leave it, give it a coat of emulsion
See http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ARTEX_REMOVAL.htm
Phil Anthropist wrote:

I had my hall ceiling area approx 7m2 skimmed with plaster. I took off the peaks using a platerers trowel, just ran it across and were it snagged it took the high point off. I PVA'd it in the am then it took a good plasterer about 1 hr to skim it that evening. Excellent finish.
Plasterer was doing other jobs, his hrly rate was 15 and plaster was as as cheap as chips.
Mike
Phil Anthropist wrote:

I found this product to be useless on emulsioned artex!! Do request a small pot with enough X TEX to treat 1 square foot, so you can try before you buy.

Thanks for that Phil:)
"Despina" wrote:

Not a way of removing Artex but an alternative to skimming to smooth it out: Polycell Covertex Ceiling Paint is meant to smooth out textured surfaces but only works on swirled pattern Artex where you can fill the grooves. If your Artex is a stippled finish with spikes like stalactites hanging down then Covertex doesn't result in a smooth finish.
Phil Anthropist wrote:

That's very good advice which isn't on the tub! :-) Thanks :-)