Artex...

Is there an easy way of remove artex off the ceiling? Detestable stuff.....

Reply to
Despina

A wallpaper steamer&scraper and hard graft. Otherwise plaster skimmed over.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Artex should be banned.

You have 4 options:

  1. Steam stripper and scraper (takes forever, very messy, and can be dangerous)
  2. Skim over with plaster (easiest and cheapest method)
3.X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover -
Leave it, give it a coat of emulsion

See

Phil Anthropist

I had my hall ceiling area approx 7m2 skimmed with plaster. I took off the peaks using a platerers trowel, just ran it across and were it snagged it took the high point off. I PVA'd it in the am then it took a good plasterer about 1 hr to skim it that evening. Excellent finish.

Plasterer was doing other jobs, his hrly rate was £15 and plaster was as as cheap as chips.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Not a way of removing Artex but an alternative to skimming to smooth it out: Polycell Covertex Ceiling Paint is meant to smooth out textured surfaces but only works on swirled pattern Artex where you can fill the grooves. If your Artex is a stippled finish with spikes like stalactites hanging down then Covertex doesn't result in a smooth finish.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

I found this product to be useless on emulsioned artex!! Do request a small pot with enough X TEX to treat 1 square foot, so you can try before you buy.

Reply to
sendamail2

That's very good advice which isn't on the tub! :-) Thanks :-)

Reply to
Vodkajelly

Thank you:)

Reply to