Approval for Electrical Works?

Hi there,
Do I need to contact my local council for Building Regulation Approval to have our new Extension wired?
Heard something that if I use a Part P Certified Electrician, I don't need to but if I use an Electrician whos got 30 years experience but no Part P then the Building Control Officer has to inspect the work?
I'm confused?
Cheers,
Jach

You`ve got it spot on (I don`t agree with the stupidity of it though). Make sure the Part P electrician you use gives you a certificate/receipt.
Cheers
Richard www.fullflow-plumbing.co.uk

Didn't you intend to have it wired when you did the BCO application for the extension? It should be part of that, and inspected as part of the other inspections related to the extension.

That's correct. Note that the BCO is not allowed to charge you extra for the inspection, nor is he allowed to ask you to get the inspection done at your expense. A lot of LA BCO departments are still trying this on, even though Part P has been reissued to make it clear they aren't allowed to do so. The fee you pay the BCO for the application is to pay for all the inspections.
--
Andrew Gabriel