Anyone using an extractor hood that just re-circulates?

Might seem a bit of a daft question but I've got a bit of an issue with venting one out that can be resolved but it's going to be a bit difficult with the location. Someone suggested I just have it recirculating.

Now to me, this kinda defeats the object - i.e. you want your extractor to get rid of steam as well as smells/grease (which the hood might do in this mode), but the fact extractors support recirculating made me wonder if I'm missing something?

Midge

Reply to
Midge

They recirculate through a large carbon filter which will take out the greasy bits pretty well but not the steam. You have to pay for new filters faily often as well.

Most fans can be used in both modes, so you could install it in recirculating mode, then change it to exhaust if it didn't do the job.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In theory it doesn't get rid of steam but in practice we have found that turning ours on does seem to reduce it quite a lot. Usually, when I boil our breakfast eggs the windows and other things get covered in condensation. With the recirculating hood running the amount of condensation is drastically reduced, so it must work in some way.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Interesting gents - thanks.

Mrs Midge has just reminded me that with our old extractor running (was in different place in kitchen and vented) you could smell a curry from the street outside! I'm mulling over whether a charcoal filter could handle it lol

Midge

Reply to
Midge

In the end, I rang the manufacturer and they were very strongly in favour of venting it so am gonna take the pain and run with that.

Thanks, Midge.

Reply to
Midge