Anybody Know??

What these screws are called?

My wife received a dressing table stool today and asked me to put it together for her. The seat frame attaches to the legs via a corner bracket and a big chunky coarse wood cutting threaded allen screw. When I was tightening the screw I could tell it wasn't 'biting'. The problem is the predrilled holes in the legs are 6.5mm diameter and the diameter of the thread on the screw is 7.0mm, giving 0.25mm per side for the screw to bite into. The screw measures 5.0mm at the bottom of the threads, all measured with a vernier, so they are true sizes.

I have spoken to the supplier (not manufacturer) and all they can do is send a replacement which I think will be the same. I need some bigger diameter screws but do not know what they are called. I have looked at Screwfix, Woodfit, Toolstation and Unifix with no luck but I think it would be easier if I had a name or type to go on. I did think of plugging the holes with dowels and redrilling but if it doesn't work I have stuffed a £70 dressing table stool.

If it helps to understand my ramblings this is the stool, (but doesn't show the screws and bracket).

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

get some thin play from a model shop - 1/64 or 1/32" and roll it up and glue it into the holes.

Or use glued in matchsticks.

Another trick is to grease the screws and stuff a little car body filler in the holes, then nail the screws mostly in, and when the filler goes off, tighten up.

Or completely plug the holes with filler, and redrill at 6mm or 1./4"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They be coach screws?

Can ye not put a cut down wallplug in the hole?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No they are not coach screws I have some of those and they are not the same at all.

I did think of that but my 6mm plugs will not accept the end of the screw as it is 5mm in diameter. As I said above I did think of dowels and redrilling also but I don't want to cattle the stool and be left with a bill for another one at £70.00

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I'd ask the supplier to replace the legs. If you "fix it" (and there are a number of options) and it later breaks, you'll have no come back.

A different matter if you've drilled the holes but that isn't the case.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

I think its assembly screws then, the type you get in Flatpacks/Self assembly furniture.Just had a look at a unit in the backroom and its got these star headed screws in it however looking at the thread it just basically a wood screw thread. Should be able to get them in most sheds

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's the problem they cannot replace the legs only the whole unit and I think it will be a never ending circle of replacements and returns. I even asked them to put me and the manufacturer in contact but "We can't do that Sir".

Reply to
John

What I used to use for these situations was a plug of wire wool. What I use now is a chunk torn off from one of the much more substantial stainless steel scourers. Poke this loosely into the hole with a small screwdriver and follow it with the screw. Solid as a rock!

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Oh just fix it and stop being such a wuss.

Reply to
Gilbert

There you go near the bottom,if these ain't them I'll eat my hat.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

They'll be proprietory fastenings.

You'd be trying to drill 5mm out of the centre of a 6.5mm dowel. :-(

Take the whole lot back for a refund, and buy another.

It must have worked for somebody at sometime, maybe you were unlucky with the specimen you got.

If it's still the same fill the holes with car body filler and drill it for screws of your own choosing.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

His Wifey might be top heavy though.

/scampers of before John has a go. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Stand your ground man! At least you resisted touching on her bottom.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

====================== Probably these:

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You owe me a new keyboard...

Or are you REALLY that naive?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I dunno.

Maybe I am. :-))

But John Lewis had one on display that they'd managed to get assembled and one they had photographed.

DG.

Reply to
Derek ^

Salt & pepper with that Sir? The diameter of those is only 5.35mm, the ones I have are 7mm and too small! The shape is different aswell. Enjoy your meal, I hope it's a Pork Pie hat ;-)

Cheers John

Reply to
John

That's the nearest I have seen I would never have guessed at their name being Confirmat Screw, they are only 7mm in diameter I now need to find something like 9 or 10mm dia. Thanks a lot.

John

Reply to
John

Not yet until you have emailed them. :-P

"We have the full range available, including the less common sizes".

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's far easier just to put a moderate dab of No-nails or Gripfill in the hole, check the leg is correctly positioned, gently tighten the screw and leave it overnight :-)

Reply to
Peter Parry