Anybody Know??

Page 1 of 2

What these screws are called?
My wife received a dressing table stool today and asked me to put it together for her. The seat frame attaches to the legs via a corner bracket and a big chunky coarse wood cutting threaded allen screw. When I was tightening the screw I could tell it wasn't 'biting'. The problem is the predrilled holes in the legs are 6.5mm diameter and the diameter of the thread on the screw is 7.0mm, giving 0.25mm per side for the screw to bite into. The screw measures 5.0mm at the bottom of the threads, all measured with a vernier, so they are true sizes.
I have spoken to the supplier (not manufacturer) and all they can do is send a replacement which I think will be the same. I need some bigger diameter screws but do not know what they are called. I have looked at Screwfix, Woodfit, Toolstation and Unifix with no luck but I think it would be easier if I had a name or type to go on. I did think of plugging the holes with dowels and redrilling but if it doesn't work I have stuffed a 70 dressing table stool.
If it helps to understand my ramblings this is the stool, (but doesn't show the screws and bracket).
http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/PhotoGallery.aspx?Type=SKU&ID#0202757
Thanks
John
John wrote:

glue it into the holes.
Or use glued in matchsticks.
Another trick is to grease the screws and stuff a little car body filler in the holes, then nail the screws mostly in, and when the filler goes off, tighten up.
Or completely plug the holes with filler, and redrill at 6mm or 1./4"
John wrote:

They be coach screws?
Can ye not put a cut down wallplug in the hole?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

No they are not coach screws I have some of those and they are not the same at all.

I did think of that but my 6mm plugs will not accept the end of the screw as it is 5mm in diameter. As I said above I did think of dowels and redrilling also but I don't want to cattle the stool and be left with a bill for another one at 70.00
Cheers
John
John wrote:

I think its assembly screws then, the type you get in Flatpacks/Self assembly furniture.Just had a look at a unit in the backroom and its got these star headed screws in it however looking at the thread it just basically a wood screw thread. Should be able to get them in most sheds
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I'd ask the supplier to replace the legs. If you "fix it" (and there are a number of options) and it later breaks, you'll have no come back.
A different matter if you've drilled the holes but that isn't the case.
Brian

That's the problem they cannot replace the legs only the whole unit and I think it will be a never ending circle of replacements and returns. I even asked them to put me and the manufacturer in contact but "We can't do that Sir".

John wrote:

Oh just fix it and stop being such a wuss.

I use now is a chunk torn off from one of the much more substantial stainless steel scourers. Poke this loosely into the hole with a small screwdriver and follow it with the screw. Solid as a rock!
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
Mike Halmarack wrote:

His Wifey might be top heavy though.
/scampers of before John has a go. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:18:33 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Stand your ground man! At least you resisted touching on her bottom.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
John wrote:

http://webserver.diygear.com/acatalog/DiyGear_com_Woodscrews_533.html
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Salt & pepper with that Sir? The diameter of those is only 5.35mm, the ones I have are 7mm and too small! The shape is different aswell. Enjoy your meal, I hope it's a Pork Pie hat ;-)
Cheers John
John wrote:

Not yet until you have emailed them. :-P
"We have the full range available, including the less common sizes".
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

They'll be proprietory fastenings.

You'd be trying to drill 5mm out of the centre of a 6.5mm dowel. :-(
Take the whole lot back for a refund, and buy another.
It must have worked for somebody at sometime, maybe you were unlucky with the specimen you got.
If it's still the same fill the holes with car body filler and drill it for screws of your own choosing.
DG
Derek ^ wrote:

You owe me a new keyboard...
Or are you REALLY that naive?

I dunno.
Maybe I am. :-))
But John Lewis had one on display that they'd managed to get assembled and one they had photographed.
DG.
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:26:27 +0000, Derek ^

Computer trickery..

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?cPath &products_id5&Name=Confirmat+Screw+-+7+x+50mm
Cic.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?cPath &products_id5&Name=Confirmat+Screw+-+7+x+50mm
That's the nearest I have seen I would never have guessed at their name being Confirmat Screw, they are only 7mm in diameter I now need to find something like 9 or 10mm dia. Thanks a lot.
John