Any experience of tile adhesive for wooden floors?

Evo-stik do a "highly flexible" tile adhesive which supposedly allows tiling direct onto a wooden floor. Does anyone have any experience of this stuff and what limits it has?

The area in question is tongue and groove floor boarded, but does flex a little more than it should in places courtesy of central heating fitters.

Putting marine-ply board on top of the floor boards to tile on is going to cause me one or two problems with door opening and the like, so I thought this might be worth exploring....

TIA Midge

Reply to
Midge

Never tile directly into a t&g floor as, in the first instance, you'll ruin the floor and, secondly, it is not stable enough for direct tiling, even with a 'flexible' adhesive. I would recommend overlaying the floor with WBP Ply (9mm minimum), screwed at 200mm centres each way. Then fix the tiles with a highly flexible, rubber based adhesive (such as BAL Fastflex) and using a cement based wide joint grout with added flexibility, by either using a polymer modified grout, or by adding a liquid polymer to the cement based grout (such as BAL Wide Joint Grout with GT1 additive). You don't need to use marine ply - that's an extravagance. You will likely need to trim the bottom of the doors. If you don't have the confidence to do it yourself, get a joiner to do it. Don't be a cheapskate - do a proper job!

Bob H

Reply to
Bob Hill

Bob is right. Never, ever tile onto bare floorboards or tongue & groove, it will only open up. As he said, consider Plywood decking and then tile.

ken

Reply to
Ken

Could you screw a very thin board on top of the T & G, say 4mm board with loads of screws? I have used this tile adhesive on a springy wooden floor and it worked absolutely fine.

Reply to
Stuart

Thanks for the advice all.

Midge.