ants !!!!!!!!!!

anybody got any tips or solutions how to get rid of them from within house ????

cheers Daz

Reply to
dbroms

Don't let them in...! We use Jeyes fluid in the garden on the block paving. Keeps the little blighters at bay.

Reply to
John & Lisa

Nippon Ant Killer Liquid. Instructions on the tube.

Phil Anthropist

That's definitely the stuff to use. Leave a generous amount on non-absorbent surfaces (eg vinyl flooring). Best from mid evening, cos they seem to get really hungry during the night. They'll eat (drink?) far more than you imagine, and take the infection back to their nests and kill their mates. If you know where they congregate, or walk, focus on that area.

Try not to step in it (show family members where it is), but wipe up any Nippon not eaten within 48 hours, otherwise it goes really sticky and is hard to clean off.

After 3 or 4 nights of this, I doubt you'll see any more ants for a while.

(For a bit of fun, sneak down in the night and see how many ants you're feeding!)

Outside, you can shake Nippon powder around (I've no experience of Jeyes, as suggested by J&L - must try that sometime) - but AIUI, the powder is not taken back to the nest to kill other ants.

Good luck....

Reply to
Martin

Nippon is top stuff - it'll wipe out smaller nests, larger ones can be effectively controlled. Despite having nests in front and behind the hse I have only ever seen a dozen ants or so in my hse in 11 years. About £2 for a 50ml tube from wilkinson which usually lasts a summer with weekly applications.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

If you know their "run" say behind some cabinets, the powder is great, and works out cheaper. The little blighters walk through it, get covered in it and then traipse it back to the nest too.

Reply to
Al

Ants usually move in to your home when attracted by Sugar or similar. Once the ants have told their family that sweet stuff is on tap, word gets about and they keep coming back to revisit the location with the sugar (long after its gone).

Follow their trail back to the nest (usually outside) and boil the nest location with boiling kettle water. May require a number of applications until all dead.

They often set up 'base camp' at multiple locations in your home. Boil them here too.

Then when all is dried out, use Nippon 'Ant Jelly' (comes in a toothpaste tube). They eat it, like it and take it back to the nest and feed the queen and her young with it. Then they all die of poisoning.

It's a fun life being an ant

Reply to
<F1LBY>