alarms

I am dividing a room and want to either move the PIR or add another PIR. Is this something that can be done easily or do I need to bring in a professional. The system is a veritas with 8 zones 7 of which are used.

It depends who owns the alarm system, and if it's monitored. It will probably require an engineer code (although I'm not familiar with this alarm), and you won't have that if the system is not owned by you or is monitored.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 11 Feb, 16:45, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

the system is not monitored, and i own it.
writes:

Ideally you would run another cable from the main control box to the new PIR. It is not considered acceptable in the alarm trade to piggy back two PIRs off the same zone. You may need the engineers code to programme the new zone and an installation manual to do this (I have the veritas manuals on pdf format and my email works so ask if you need them)
Although you should not really join alarm cables to extend them, if you did wish to do so then turn the mains power off to the alarm and remove its battery. Solder and heatshrink the new cable to the old one and mount the new PIR where you want.
HTH
Adam
PS Some Veritas systems use EOL technology so you cannot run 2 PIRs off the same zone
If the existing pir is wired in 8 core then you should have no problem wiring an extra zone using the 2 spare cores. It is common practice to share 12 supply across 2 back to back devices and as the veritas uses a global tamper loop rather than zone tamper you can just series the tamper. If the alarm is your's then you can easily remove the cover and even if you do not have the eng' code your code will silence the alarm tamper. Before starting work disconect the 12 aux supply at the panel or kill the mains and remove the battery.(NB the earlier veritas 8's were prone to crashing when repowered so power up by battery first.)
HTH
CJ