Air vent

My Central Heating boiler is in fireplace with flue going up and out of the existing chimney.Had a surveyor recently regarding cavity wall insulation and he said that I should have an air vent in the wall of the room where the boiler is.Although, because of my age, I get this done for nothing but I am not too keen on having wall drilled and a vent put in.There is a vent in the floor of the room and of course a number of vents in the foundations.Can anyone please advise me on this.

Reply to
allan

There is always the possibility of some future occupier covering the vent in the floor and killing the occupants. A wall vent is much safer. An alternative is to put a vent in the door and have the air supply from another room or outer door

Reply to
Alang

best thro wall but i believe the floor type are still allowed although there was talk of doing away with them due to radon gas. i see many back boiler with fires where the customer has had insulation fitted and the new vent is thro the wall with the original in the floor. they are covering their selves by putting the new vent in as they cannot be sure the existing air bricks under the floor do not become obstructed by the insulation as they are not ducted between/thro the cavity as the new gas vent will be

Reply to
nobby

Reply to
nobby

less chance of that than a coat or magazine dropping on a floor vent

Reply to
Alang

Reply to
nobby

I did wonder why Surveyor was so keen for me to agree on a new vent,so there is a possibility that all the other vents in the house could be blocked up with insulation foam?House was built in 1968 and there are quite a few underfloor and wall vents and I have to say that I have never seen these things that are not on a wall so I dont know the construction of them.Looks like I will have to get new ducted vent. Thanks all for replies allan

Reply to
allan