Air flow rate thought septic tank?

As usual, having searched the web, there's loads of general info but little in the way of specifics. I'd like to know, roughly, the air flow rate per cubic meter needed to be pumped though a septic tank, to crate anaerobic reaction. ....200 litres/hour per cubic meter?....2000litres litres/hour per cubic meter???....I did read somewhere the temperature must be no lower than 10 C......that's as far as the specifics went. Cheers
TIA
Nick
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com says...

--
Roland Butter :- There\'s nothing like a knob of butter.

says...

Our septic tank is pretty much sealed and I understand that they work best without air as they use anaerobic bacteria. Or do you mean a cess pit type tank which needs regular emptying?
TonyB

We have another tank which contains only liquid, through which I want to pump air. A web site was advertising a system that used annaerobic reaction in the main tank, and aerobic in the second stage, prior to watercourse discharge. It's for this aerobic reaction I want to find out more info.

No, it's a septic tank ie, the liquids soakway (?)
Cheers
Nick wrote:

motor on the air compressor, bubbling air continuously through what I guess was a 500 gallon'ish aerobic chamber.
They were off-mains and had tried to get by only running the compressor when they ran the generator. It started to smell indicating it had gone anaerobic. Sorting out the electrics so that the compressor ran 24x7 fixed it.
I guess the proper answer is to use a DO meter and adjust the air accordingly, as what is needed should vary with temperature and effluent flow. However, a big tank should even things out.
I don't know if that helps - but may be useful as an indicator of the amount of compressor power/ airflow that may be needed.
--
Sue

Ours goes to soakaway too, I guess the second tank must be anaerobic as there's no entry point for air anywhere. I've never touched it in 15 years and it's never smelt either. TonyB

Yes, thanks, I meant aerobic ....Doh!
says...