Air Conditioning in Conservatory

Page 2 of 2

ALAN wrote:

First, use blinds that reflect the energy back out. Or at least absorbs the energy (which will stay near the roof) rather than passes it through to heat the interior.
Second, fans that extract the hot air and don't just stir it around *do* work. It does need to vent to the exterior. It obviously helps if the conservatory has a wall as piercing double glazing has its problems.
If leaving the doors and windows open doesn't work - you don't have enough doors and (opening)windows...
My parents have a 5 x 4 conservatory and a 12k BTU portable air con, with a hose through a vent in the wall. It didn't cope on several days last year without blinds. After fitting proper roof blinds, it more than coped. The portable air con is ridiculously noisy - in retrospect, I would have gone for one of the "self-install" two part units. Much, much quieter and also would have heated the place in the winter, plus only needed small holes rather than a 5+ inch one. I would suggest getting the biggest unit that the budget will run to..
--
Sue

Costco have both two part self install and mobile air-con units at the present time. IIRC both around the 350GBP range

My mates got a similar sized conservatory with two part air conditioner fitted and even this is too noisy. He got it fitted (1500 I think) as it was too hot to use in the summer but to be honest is now too noisey. It is not the internal bit that makes the noise, but the extractor external part can be heard very well inside the conservatory.