African Gold

Has anyone got African Gold slate floor tiles ?

Reply to
Kate Morgan

t...

African Gold rings no bells so has anyone installed a slate floor of any kind lately ?

Reply to
Kate Morgan
.

no african gold but I laid some chinese slate on floor and walls recently. what's up?

Reply to
necgroup

I am told that the tiles had two coats of sealant but I find that they still mark very easily :-(

Reply to
Kate Morgan

The ones I used came unsealed. I then sealed them after laying them but before grouting to bring out the colour. I used 3-4 coats as they were in a bathroom. Some markings appearing on the floor where oil based cosmetics have gone on floor but I've just accepted these as it doesn't detract from the overall look.

If you didn't seal the tiles after laying them, I'd give them a good scrub and clean, then add another couple of coats of sealant - just check what effect this will have on the grout.

Reply to
necgroup

Yes I think that you are right and the tiles need more sealant, they only had two coats and the limestone ones in the bathroom had two coats, I think that they need more.

What effect could the sealant have on the grout ?

Thanks for your interest

Kate

Reply to
Kate Morgan

Not sure. Best case it might just discolour it slightly. Worst case.. ?? Others can probably advise better, othherwise just try on a small section out of sight.

Reply to
necgroup

I reckon that sealant is the answer, I have searched on line but no one else seems to have the same problem or they are not admitting to it :-)

thanks

kate

Reply to
Kate Morgan