AEG fridge goes wrong

I have a big tall AEG fridge-freezer that has gone wrong. Helpline doesn't reply. Anyone know of a newsgroup where other worried customers might post problems and solutions? Can't find any newsgroup with AEG in the title. In case anyone here can help, the problem is that the fridge suddenly starts to emit a rattling and whirring sound. We switch it on and off and finally the horrid noise stops and the fridge works OK but it is a worrying defect to have in the background. Might it be a fan or a motor?

TIA

Mr Warwick

Reply to
Mr Warwick

There are internal circulating fans on many fridge / freezer units, but the most common cause of rattles and whirring sounds is the machine itself is not level. Try placing a bubble level on top or against the side and front, and make sure the unit is level, not perfect, but level enough to make the fans and compressor unit run without any hindrance.

How old is the appliance?

Reply to
BigWallop

You can use a screwdriver with the handle pressed to your ear as a kind of stethoscope to track the noise down.

Reply to
Derryck Croker