Advice - updating a CH system

βœ–

You took the bite !
Of course, you could work out the size of rads req'd dependant on the room parameters etc, but how many fitters do ?
They just go for a guestimate of what they think will do
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 19:56:04 +0000, raden wrote:

will do the rest and the condensing boiler won't mind about the cool return water.
βœ–
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:00:04 +0000, DavidM wrote:

You may find some of the articles here helpful. (If not perhaps you can suggest what you'd find useful - you can reply here or on specific articles' talk/discussion pages.) http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title Ξntral_Heating

Designing the system is not something I'd usually do as a specific paid job (and I guess that would go for most small installers). I'd probably discuss the design with you verbally and if you wanted me to do some of the work (like the boiler installation) I'd do heat loss calcs etc as required. You could do these yourself easily enough. An installer can probably get a boiler cheaper than you can so you'd be advised to get yours to do that.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks.
competitive quote, so its quite likely they would get the job. Happy for installer to supply boiler, at a reasonable margin.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"DavidM" wrote

I would have reservations about a "phased approach" on a system of this age! At some point (unless you have been meticulous about system cleanliness, inhibitor etc) you need to clean out the entire system. Whilst there are advocates of power flushing in this NG, most think it is overpriced and not necessarily totally effective - depends on system layout, pipe routing etc to some extent. If you can arrange at some point before the new boiler is fitted to have all rads off, I would suggest that cleaning out pipe work with mains pressure water would be as effective as power flushing if not more so. Blank off vent/feed pipes. Connect mains water. Hook up hose to each rad valve in turn and blast water through each valve and wherever else you can. Put some kind of filter on discharge end of hose to catch the big bits for examination (I use net curtain material but something finer would be better). This method should give a degree of confidence in the internal state of pipe-work. However, there are certain points which attract serious crud usually around the point where vent and feed pipes join the heating circuit. Would be well worth checking these for obstructions.
Phil
Add pictures here
βœ–
"TheScullster" wrote

Forgot to add - flush out radiators with mains water as well before re-fitting. For big radiators this needs 2 people as it is important to invert them frequently while flushing and to shake them to get crud into suspension.
Phil
Add pictures here
βœ–

otherwise boiler warranty probably void. Last year I did fill it with flushing additive and run it for a couple of weeks, then refilled with inhibitor, but it probably needs a good "shake up".
Add pictures here
βœ–