Advice Please Re- Extension Sockets

Page 3 of 3

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

How do I do that, please?
I have a voyager 205 router, but I am on the USB output. The wife is on the LAN line.
Dave
: : Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[snip]
: : : If I suspect a problem with the router I can : : : interrogate it from any computer on the LAN, and : : : re-boot if necessary. : : : : How do I do that, please? : : : : I have a voyager 205 router, but I am on the USB : : output. The wife is on the LAN line.
Why..? Put all computers on the LAN, it's a lot easier. If your router only has one Ethernet port, get a switch, they're cheap enough.
Ivor

It's in the instruction book - but I suppose if you bought a package with it all ready set up you won't have one.
With mine you ping its address from your browser and a password window comes up. Enter the password and you're into its menu and you can then do a number of checks or re-configure it for a different ISP, etc.
I couldn't use one as supplied by an ISP as I don't use a PC or Mac at the time. So had to configure it manually.
--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

There is some support on the BT website, though I didn't find the product manual (Dave above appears to be a BT Broadband customer).
http://www.voyager.bt.com /

BT router/modems come pre-configured to work "out of the box" on a BT (consumer) Broadband line (they don't need your username/password entering, any sane default will work - this isn't a security hole either). There is no setup required for the Ethernet side and basic connectivity. USB will require drivers. Some of the extra service features require setup (if wanted).
Like Ivor Jones, I would suggest that Dave puts both computers onto Ethernet; its a lot less hassle once its done.
For just a couple of computers, a cheap switch box will do the job perfectly adequately, eg this at 13 from PC World: http://tinyurl.com/2j2pzn It should be possible to get below 10, though postal costs might well then make the "collect in store" option at PC World the better price.
Or one could purchase a new router with four ports on it for well under 40, but that would require setup, and if one had reason to call BT's technical support they would expect you to put the supplied router back before they worked through the issue.
- Nigel (ex BT R&D)
--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Huge wrote:

One place I wired up we put the broadband router, and the PABX in the cupboard under the stairs..cots thats where the wires came in!
for everything else, there was cat 5.
Graham J wrote:

The ADSL connectors on the master socket/modem are actually RJ11 with the line on the centre pins. One can now buy long cables terminated in RJ11 both ends for this very purpose. I guess PC world will charge about 100 whereas Maplin will be much cheaper at 10 for a 10m cable (A93CG) or less for shorter. Or an 'ultra high speed version for 20 (A97CG) CPC even cheaper.
I used to always pick up a few when I was in the US/Canada before they became available here
Mike

Yes, I got a 15m one MUCH cheaper at CPC (I don't use it any more; router and rack are 1 metre from the master socket!)
Having said that, a twisted pair cable will be better in many cases, as a house is inherently a 'noisy' place.
Bob Eager wrote:

Yeh but it still requires RJ11s unless one wants to wire from the back with CAT5 and that is probably only better than standard (modern) BT twisted pair cable cos it is thicker and hence less lossy.
I doubt it is possible to get RJ11 terminated CAT5 unless one makes it oneself and manages to get the thicker cable into RJ11s
Mike

Standard BT twisted pair was really all I meant. Most extension leads seem to be flat twin.
Mike J wrote:

ADSL Nation used to do a range of what they called ADSL2 extension leads, RJ11 plugs on the end & (lovely) twisted pair inbetween & if my memory serves me well the longest was 20mtrs, which should fill anybodies needs..