Advice Please Re- Extension Sockets

Page 2 of 3

curious wrote:

Not quite true (as kraftee says later) The 'modem' side of a filter should (on decent units)have additional components in it to isolate/protect the modem from the DC on the line, the 25c/s ringing voltage and the dc changes caused by lifting/replacing the handset on other phones.
Mike
Mike J wrote:

No. Any components there may adversely affect the line balance and impedance. All the required 'protection' is in the modem itself. It would be nuts if it wasn't.
Graham
Eeyore wrote:

Not necessarily.
However I suspect the cost of the odd blown modem is a lot less than trying to distinguish between a 1Mhz signal and a lightning transient, without making the modem cost 1000 and therefore not be saleable.
I had USR 9600 modem that DID get literally struck by lightning: they replaced it FOC. I queried this and they said 'its built into the price. Its easier to simply replace blown units with no paperwork and invoicing, than to fiddle about trying to determine if the customer is lying, and its a heck of a lot cheaper than trying to proof them against it. We strip out the guts and scrap any parts that don't work: In your case sir, probably the whole thing"
But as far as the typical ADSL unit goes, part of what it does is to have a high pass filter of probably at least second order set at about 20Khz: That's more than enough to get rid of any DC, speech and ring tone on the line. All you ant is to reduce it so it doesn't overload the digital filters that come later.
So you just plug em straight into BT and Robert is a relative.
If the modem has a phone port, that will have its own low pass filter in it. Another reason why you wouldn't want to do that sort of filtering higher up the food chain: phones plugged into a phone socket on the modem would NOT then work.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ADSL signal gets taken off the line as soon as possible and doesn't get fed on to all the sockets around the house with possible mis-termination and standing waves upsetting the signal. I know people will say "what about the crappy BT joins outside your house" but at least they usually stay the same.
Mike
[snip]
: : The other reason for using a filtered Master Socket is : : that then the ADSL signal gets taken off the line as : : soon as possible and doesn't get fed on to all the : : sockets around the house with possible mis-termination : : and standing waves upsetting the signal. : : I know people will say "what about the crappy BT joins : : outside your house" but at least they usually stay the : : same.
So what if you need the ADSL signal at a socket other than the master..? My router/modem is in an upstairs bedroom, it would not be practical to locate it at the master socket.
Ivor

Fit a filtered faceplate at the master socket, and run cat5 cable from its RJ45 socket to another RJ45 socket at a convenient location. Plug your router into the second RJ45 socket. The Cat 5 cable will ensure that the ADSL signal arrives at the second socket substantially uncontaminated.
--
Graham J

Graham J wrote:

Or, put your router beside the master socket and work out a networking solution to your computer (upper room). Network could be ethernet (same as Graham J's method for cabling); wireless (depending on wall count), ethernet over mains (pretty effective every time I've seen it used, Solwise.co.uk for reasonably priced components).
It is worth finding out how much you loose through your house wiring on your BB speed. Some people loose immeasurably little, others find half their speed is lost in the poor wiring around their house.
- Nigel
--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Graham J wrote:

Or buy a SSFP with 2 sets of isc's on the back, one for you extension wiring & one for your DSL signal, but you would still need good quality telephone cable to get the signal to where you want
[snip]
: : : : So what if you need the ADSL signal at a socket : : : : other than the master..? My router/modem is in an : : : : upstairs bedroom, it would not be practical to : : : : locate it at the master socket. : : : : : : Fit a filtered faceplate at the master socket, and : : : run cat5 cable from its RJ45 socket to another RJ45 : : : socket at a convenient location. Plug your router : : : into the second RJ45 socket. The Cat 5 cable will : : : ensure that the ADSL signal arrives at the second : : : socket substantially uncontaminated. : : : : Or buy a SSFP with 2 sets of isc's on the back, one for : : you extension wiring & one for your DSL signal, but you : : would still need good quality telephone cable to get : : the signal to where you want
Sorry to burst everybody's bubble, but my system works perfectly well with el-cheapo plug-in filters at the master and extension sockets. Plus the router (which has built in VoIP and LED's that I want to be able to see) can be where I want it.
Ivor
Ivor Jones wrote:

Pity you didn't read Nigels post. If you had you would have already known that you wasn't going to burst anybodies bubble...
: : Ivor Jones wrote:
[snip]
: : : Sorry to burst everybody's bubble, but my system : : : works perfectly well with el-cheapo plug-in filters : : : at the master and extension sockets. Plus the router : : : (which has built in VoIP and LED's that I want to be : : : able to see) can be where I want it. : : : : : : Ivor : : : : Pity you didn't read Nigels post. If you had you would : : have already known that you wasn't going to burst : : anybodies bubble...
I did read it, he said run CAT5. I don't want or need to.
Ivor
Ivor Jones wrote:

In the first paragraph I gave three options for linking back to a master socket.
In the second paragraph I wrote: [quote] It is worth finding out how much you loose through your house wiring on your BB speed. Some people loose immeasurably little, others find half their speed is lost in the poor wiring around their house. [quote]
Evidently you think you are loosing so little that doing nothing is sensible. Others will find a certain amount of loss, and have to decide if its worth networking to the master socket to remove that loss. In extremes its the difference between a stable broadband service and no connection.
- Nigel
--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

[FX: waves]
The internal phone wiring in my house is so pants, the broadband wouldn't work. We got a filtering master socket and all is well.
It was convenient that the master socket was in my study - it is, as someone has said, useful to be able to see the modem.

My modem feeds 4 RJ45 sockets around the house. Wireless was a bit expensive when I installed it. And I'd rather not have to look at all that wiring so I fitted it in the cellar - which is where I re-routed the phone line to enter the house, rather than the original through a window frame. ;-)
If I suspect a problem with the router I can interrogate it from any computer on the LAN, and re-boot if necessary.
--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Don't give your address Dave or Gippy Joe will be around to tell you off!
Mike (When I had my ISDN Home Highway installed, the BT man was over the moon that I had pre-installed a nice new cable from the block outside to inside to the new socket position for him!!)

I didn't bother. He was still over the moon when I told him I wanted the NTE9 sited two inches from the master socket...
@spamcop.net says...

nail it to the skirtingboards in that obscene way they have. They looked a bit surprised when I showed them a draw-wire leading through a conduit to the back of the house where I wanted the terminal. Definitely worth doing - you can't see any wires anywhere except behind the telly.
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Skipweasel wrote:

When NTL supplied service at a relations, they just cut off all the BT wiring (including the NTE) and connected their wires to it using the old internal cabling. I had to re-do it when they went back to BT/Sky as the old internal stuff (orange/blue/brown/green untwisted) completely f***s up ADSL
Mike
says...

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Oh, I rarely (never?) have problems with the router itself, but being able to see the Carrier Detect and activity lights is useful.