Advice on sanding sheets size is needed

I have been given an old B&D CD400 sander, and i'm looking at buying a mixed lot of sanding sheets, different coarseness etc.

Now i beleive this is just a simple sander that needs 1/3 paper but i have no idea what size this needs to be as i'm trying to buy cheap from ebay and just searching for "1/3" is just not worth it, it gives too many hits, my sander has holes in the bottom to aid dust extraction, i have 3 along one side 3 along the other and one at the top and one at the bottom something on these lines

$_1.JPG

Is ebay my best bet or wickes, b&q, screwfix etc

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I have been given an old B&D CD400 sander, and i'm looking at buying a mixed lot of sanding sheets, different coarseness etc.

Now i beleive this is just a simple sander that needs 1/3 paper but i have no idea what size this needs to be as i'm trying to buy cheap from ebay and just searching for "1/3" is just not worth it, it gives too many hits, my sander has holes in the bottom to aid dust extraction, i have 3 along one side 3 along the other and one at the top and one at the bottom something on these lines

$_1.JPG

Is ebay my best bet or wickes, b&q, screwfix etc

Jim

Simply buy 'full' sheets at whatever grit size you need and cut them down to one third. It will be cheaper than buying ready made 1/3 size sheets. You will only require holes in them if you are applying a dust extractor to the sander. Most of us don't bother especially for smaller jobs. If you really do need the holes then you can buy a template to cut them.

Typically, full sheets are very nearly 9" X 11". You ought to find therefore, your sander flat plate is approx. 1/3 of 11" wide, or about three and two thirds inches. The length of the plate will be shorter than 9" as the ends of the paper need to fit under the clips.

Knowing what you want now, I would guess eBay will be your cheapest option.

In giving advice it would be nice to know how you get on.

Good luck.

omega

Omega

I have been given an old B&D CD400 sander, and i'm looking at buying a mixed lot of sanding sheets, different coarseness etc.

Now i beleive this is just a simple sander that needs 1/3 paper but i have no idea what size this needs to be as i'm trying to buy cheap from ebay and just searching for "1/3" is just not worth it, it gives too many hits, my sander has holes in the bottom to aid dust extraction, i have 3 along one side 3 along the other and one at the top and one at the bottom something on these lines

$_1.JPG

Is ebay my best bet or wickes, b&q, screwfix etc

Jim

The B&D site quotes paper for your sander as 92mm X 230mm which approximates with my imperial measurements. Full sheets cut down are still your best option for price.

omega

Omega

OK thanks Omega, i have been trying to find the template i need but i'm not having much luck but i'll do some more digging tonight when i have more time

Jim

Reply to
Jim