Advice on plaster skimming a wall

This is my situation, I have one wall (plaster board) half of which was tiled and I have removed the tiles. The other half of the wall (untiled) had previously been skimmed (approx 2/3 mm) On removing the tiles I now have half a wall unskimmed and half a wall skimmed. I am going to tile the complete wall but need to skim the other half to make it level with the skimmed section. I have never done this before but I am assuming reasonable (but not perfect) accuracy would be ok as its all getting tiled. I am looking to use strips of cardboard which is the same thickness as the skimmed section pinned vertical to the wall at a distance just slightly under the width of my trowel, the vertical sections will act as a guiide and will then give me consistent thickness of `skim`. When this is dry I will remove the cardboard strips and then use the already skimmed sections as a guide to skim where the carboard strips were, I am hoping this will then give me an overall `skim` of consistent thickness. The wall to be skimmed is only 6` x 8.5`. Anyone got any thoughts on this, like should it work ok or anything else I should know about.

thanks

Reply to
S S

That sounds fine. I recommend you use one coat plaster which is easier to apply than traditional finish/skim/top coat plaster.

DIY

Don't bother. Simply use the tile adhesive to make up the depth. Put the adhesive on the back of each tile in blobs, not on the wall.

Reply to
EricP