AD: Steel brackets for making a carpenters workhorse / sawhorse / stool

I have designed this bracket to make it quicker and easier to build a traditional carpenters workhorse. These strong steel trestle brackets allow the top to be replaced when worn, they save hours in making the traditional carpentry stool and last a lifetime. They are ideal for professional tradesmen or home DIY use.

Please visit my website at

for more information.

Reply to
B. A. Steel Brackets

IANAL lawyer but I am an engineer - I do think you need both legal and engineering advice with this product.

There is little or no lateral stability inherent in the design - you are relying on the purchaser to select an appropriate screw length and correctly secure the bracket to the top plate.

Yet you show a diagram showing someone standing on the finished, home made, assembly.

If someone used these things and the trestles collapse whilst being stood on, in the manner depicted in your diagrams, then I do hope that you have LOTS of legal liability cover.. They could easily collapse, if too short screws were used or they were not properly gripping the wood and even a moderate longitidunal thrust was applied to the top surface.

Personally, I would suggest that you remove the picture of someone standing on it ASAP and plaster the website and the product with disclaimers warning of the risk of collapse. Particularly warning against the use of any power tools with them. And warning people never to stand on them or allow children on, near or under them.

I would also suggest re-designing the brackets to make them more inherently safe, eg, for a start, not dependent on being screwed to the top plate for structural integrity. Or, at least, including the screws and instructions on how they should be used.

Incidently, your website instructions show the leg-securing screw hole on a different face of the bracket than appears to be the current design? I assume that it was an earlier design and you haven't updated the instructions.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

What the lady said. Plus ISTR that something very similar has been available for about 15-20 Yrs.

IIRC a pair of orange in colour brackets to take lengths of 3 X 2 timber, pivoted and fitted with teeth on the inside to trap and grip another length for the top.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

=================== As sold by 'Focus', I think. I saw them quite recently.

Sawhorses were traditionally knocked up on site by joiners from a few bits and pieces of timber and discarded at the end of a contract. They're easily made at home, preferably from 'sawn' timber rather than planed and they last almost forever.

The OP's design doesn't look very stable even for sawing and standing on a pair would seem to be inviting injury.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero