A quick test you might enjoy

Hi,
See if you can label each of the following as truth or false. It's nothing difficult and you might pick up a point or two if you're not a professional. This is probably too simplistic for the pros.
-- It takes more energy to cool a house after the air conditioning has been left off all day than if the ac had been left on all day.
-- Electricity can "leak" into the air from exposed bare parts of the wires.
-- A 240Vac product user more power than the same product designed to run on 120V.
-- If you stood on an insulated surface and stepped into the bathtub, then dropped an electrical appliance into the tub, with the power switch turned on, it would kill you.
-- It takes so much more power to turn on a light bulb than to leave it on, you might as well not turn it off.
-- Same for a computer?
-- Answers farther down the page.
Cats land on their feet. but Toast lands PB side down; A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision forever.
;
;
;
;
;
If you answered TRUE to ANY of the statements, you were wrong.
Barring the possibility that I typo'd somewhere along the line, They are all FALSE statements.
For those who are prone to nit-pick, hype the exception to every rule in existance and if-then things to death, you need not reply to me. Reply to others if you wish; however, I simply won't be responding very much to you, if at all.
Twayne

false, it costs more for the initial cooling and then switching on and off all day than it does to cool once. Doors and windows are less likely to be opened and closed regularly during the night, so that also cuts down on costs as through the day this makes the aircon keep kicking in.

Depends on your definition. Are you talking about eddy currents or maybe inductive coupling? What do you mean by "leaks" ?

The higher the voltage, the lower the current required. So again it depends on your actual specific question. Yours is worded in such a way that you can change the meaning to suit your answer.

Not if the bath was empty. Your question needs to be worded more accurately. If suitable RCDs were fitted then you would be lucky to be killed even if the bath was full of water.

It depends on what type of bulb is being used. Some do take more energy to start than to run. It depends on what sort of starter circuit is used, if any. You do know people can use many different types of bulbs.

That would need to be measured. It also depends on the type of power supply and power saving features in use at the time.

I would get in touch with the original author and ask him to explain some of the statements to you as it's obvious you don't understand much about electrical work ! You're both as bad as each other. What you have done is copied something without checking it FIRST.
IanT wrote:

also a tiny amount through conductance and electrostatic effects. But it really is negligible, enough that air is used as the insulator on high voltage transmission lines.
<snip>

OK, assume it's full of water. Fresh water of course, this is a bath. With a little soap to provide a few ions. The old electric bar fires are perhaps 40cm long. Assume one end is near the (metal) bath, and the other near you there is likely to be a current flow through the water into you then out through the bath. Probably the chrome drain fittings, the chain or the taps. It's a traditional murder method; I wouldn't want to risk it. It _might_ work!
<snip>

Computer in idle is mostly off anyway. But during the shutdown and boot process large parts of it - the disk for sure - will be going at full speed and the power consumption will be way up.
So it depends on how long it'll be off, how long it takes to boot, how good its standby power consumption is...
Andy

you would be lucky to be killed
I know what you mean, but I'm still having trouble with that sentence.
Steve
In ...

No, you pretty much missed the hint that you might "enjoy" them. For exactly the reasons that you pointed out with a total lack of interpersonal skills. Oh, and you're right; they came from a pair of websites, neither of which attributed a source for the informaton.
A waste of time for you, basically.
Cats land on their feet.

This makes me think of the "leave the heating on all day, and it's cheaper than it coming on twice a day" theory. Is that true? Or a rumour spread by the energy companies?
JW
In

loo, You tell me and we'll both know! I suspect that realistically it depends on a few things that aren't mentioned in the question, which is what a lot of them depend on in order to misguide the answers. How much temp rise needed, how long the heat was off (contents temperatures), etc..
Twayne
--
Often you'll find excellent advice on a newsgroup.
Before you use that advice though, consider the