A couple of questions about gas pipe installation.

Might be worth putting that in quotes - for a moment it sounded like you getting out of your pram! ;-)

Point worth noting at this point in case you were not aware both John S and Ed who have responded to parts of this thread are CORGIs.

To address specific points in the above - yes many of them are technically correct as I understand it (but note I am not CORGI). You should leak test after remove or reinstatement. As a minimum this should be with a proper leak test spray, or preferably by doing a full pressure drop test with a manometer at the test point on the meter. Bayonet fittings are not intended for long term isolation and hence should be capped when not in use. Anti tilt device etc should be present as previously discussed.

In addition there are a bunch of regulations regarding appliances like cookers, especially wrt to the ventilation and air volume requirements. Clearances will also be specified by the manufacturer.

On a more practical level, whether it is right or wrong to disconnect a bayonet fitting yourself is a moot point, since you chances of getting a CORGI out to do just that are going to be slim.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well he would do, he's been corgi registered for 28 years. As has been pointed out, it's competance, not registration that you want to worry about. Many Corgi registered fitters fail the competance test.

As a house-owner, I'm *far* more concerned about any small leaks than a "hit'n'run" gas fitter and consequently have my own manometer for leak testing. Of course there's more to fitting a hob than leak testing and it's possible that regulations may have changed since your last hob was fitted so you can't necessarily assume that a straight swap will meet regs.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I thought I read (in GI) that the method is under review, which means it's OK but it might not be for much longer.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You can remove the cooker yourself (e.g. for cleaning): that's what the bayonet connector is there for.

Apart from that (and the spelling) the quoted advice is connect with respect to (re)installing a cooker.

Reply to
John Stumbles

ISTR getting the 'under review' impression a while back, and the 'OK' impression more recently.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Not much use for typical meter at front of house, boiler at back, mid-terrace

Is there? More details please ...

Reply to
John Stumbles

The local scum seem to enjoy nicking external gas pipes - without a thought to the consequences. Copper isn't the price of gold - they should look at the Screwfix catalogue and realise the price before going to the trouble!

Reply to
John