Patio Door locks

We have some old patio doors that both slide from the outside.

What is the best way to secure both against potential burglary.

The bottom track is not flat as there is a ridge.

Any advice much appreciated.

Dee

Reply to
Deebrief

Difficult to say without seeing the actual doors but there are, of course, after-market locks designed specifically for sliding patio doors. The tend to screw into the frame and have a pin that pushes forwards into the actual door to lock it in position.

Some examples here:

I fitted two such locks to the top and bottom of my previous aluminium patio doors - but have now had the complete doors replaced with multi-point locking uPVC doors.

Reply to
Ret.

They may have a 2 part strip above the door which can only be removed from the open area, so in the closed position the strip makes it impossible to lift the door off it's tracks, and the strip can not be removed. To remove the door, remove the 'open half strip' then open the door and remove the other half strip, then you can lift the door off it's track. Mine are almost 20 years and are like that. If you ever do remove the doors take cake as they are heavy.

Reply to
Chewbacca

But Ms. Antoinette, we do not have any cake ;-)

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Broom poles in the tracks ============================

I has loads of cake.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

------------------------------------- To often we see the report of a burglar going through an open sliding door, many of these doors can be opened with out tools or braking the glass. We all try to protect ourselves, but that sliding glass door is a problem. It does not have a lock, it is a latch. And to many bad guys already know how easy it is to get through it, with out leaving any pry marks. Even with a protection on the inside to keep the door from being opened, the glass can be broken with little noise. An alarm system is good, but it lets you know when they are coming in. It does not keep them out. With fewer police on the road now days, burglars know they have time on their side, even with the alarm sounding. Best is to keep them from getting in. There is a security door made for that sliding glass door, you can see them at

We all need to feel more secure in our home. Michael snipped-for-privacy@PatioSecurityDoor.com

Reply to
Ideasinsnow

Spam.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Certainly looked that way.

It was very kind of you to repost it though.

Reply to
Richard Colton

More spam.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Do you not think it would be a good idea to:

  1. Learn what a sig is.
  2. Learn how to snip them.
  3. Learn how to post (in general) before complaining about others?

Or are you perhaps still just a poor troll?

Reply to
Richard Colton

I don't use a sig.

  1. Learn how to snip them.

Why?

HA!

Or are you perhaps still just a poor troll?

Nope, but you are a spammer.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder