Mira Sport 9.8 Shower - Intermittent Fault & Mira 'threat' of Call Out Charge

My Mira Sport 9.8 is literally days from the end of the 2 year guarantee, and has developed an intermittent fault.

Two days ago, when I tried to use the shower, there was only a dribble of water coming from the handset, and the low flow light (LFL) was illuminated. I tried switching the shower off & on a few times, but the problem remained. I took the shower handset off, and cleaned it (even though it wasn't visibly dirty), connected it back up, and the shower worked normally. Initially, I thought that might have solved the problem, but wondered why the LFL would come on if the problem lay with the handset? (I have since noticed that if this was the problem, according to the manual, the LFL should be off)

After having a shower, I tried switching the shower on & off a few times - sometimes it worked normally, at other times, the problem recurred.

The following morning, on first attempt, the shower worked normally. Last night, however, the problem occurred when first tried, and it took a few on/off cycles to get it working. This morning, it worked normally on first attempt and for the next few on/off cycles, then started the same problem, intermittently.

I contacted Mira, and after asking if I had tried cleaning the handset, had any problems with water pressure (I haven't noticed any change in the cold taps, toilet, operation of washing machine etc.), they said they would arrange for a service engineer to visit, but if no fault was found, a call out fee of £65 would be charged. Similarly, if the problem lay with the inlet filter, the call out charge would also apply.

I now appear to be in a 'catch 22' situation - the manual clearly states that only a 'competent tradesperson' should remove the front cover, clean the inlet filter etc., so I can't try this myself, but if I call a local plumber/service engineer, they will (not unreasonably) charge me, but why should I do this when the shower is still under guarantee?

Since the call to Mira, I have noticed that when the problem occurs, and the cold tap in the bathroom is turned on 'normally', the shower then springs into life and starts flowing correctly; but if the tap is turned on slowly/gradually, it doesn't seem to have an effect. Also, when the shower is switched off, the flow stops after about one second, rather than running for few seconds, as it used to/is supposed to.

Not sure if this is likely to be relevant, but I had a new washing machine installed about a month ago (cold fill only) - would I be correct in thinking that only the 'tap' that the machine is connected to would have been turned off, not the main stopcock? (As mentioned, the shower problem has only just occurred.)

Any suggestions as to what the problem is most likely to be, and what I should do with regard to the Mira engineer, considering the intermittent nature of the problem, the possibility of the problem being down to the inlet filter, the threat of a large call out charge etc.?

TIA.

Reply to
Cal

Snipped

Cal,

I have a Mira Sports shower and it's an easy enough job to take the cover off and to remove and clean the inlet filter (without leaving 'any evidence' :-) )- and if you are a 'skilled' D-I-Y'er - then you are 'competent' to do the job!

Remember to make sure that the power suppy to the shower is turned off though.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Agreed, and remember to turn the water off as well :)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Well spotted Adam - I forgot about that! :-)

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

SNIP

Thanks for the replies so far - I take it that a partially blocked inlet filter is the most likely cause of the problem, then?

Also, since my original reply, I have noticed the following:-

As the 'cold tap experiment' suggests that a drop in pressure is advantageous, I tried switching the shower on & off while he toilet was flushing, and despite doing on/off cycles in quick succession, it worked perfectly; until, that is, the cistern was almost full (and therefore, much reduced water flow).

TIA.

Reply to
Cal

SNIP

The inlet filter has now been cleaned, but, unfortunately, the problem remains :-(

Reply to
Cal

If this is one of those Mira showers with a bank of relays in it then I'd ditch it and get another make. The model we had was already installed when we bought the house. Kept on running cold or just shutting down completely. Was down to the relays arcing and burning out. I replaced all the relays with new ones from RS. Lasted about 5 months. Took the shower out and replaced it with a Triton Amber II from Homebase. A much more basic system but has worked with no problems for the last 5 years.

If you do go down the replacement route the main thing is to keep the power of the new shower within the limits of your cabling. Might be worth keeping the Mira shower head too as they tend to be better than the basic ones supplied with other showers.

Reply to
Alang

responding to

Roy acuff wrote: Thanks for shearing.