Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

repairing damaged plaster board
Hi, I bought a 90s flat a few months ago. All the walls were wall papered and I've stripped them ready to paint them. Problem is, at various places around the flat the plasterboard is a bit...
2
2

chipboard flooring
Hi Group, which offers better resistence to damp & shrinkage/warping? chipboard flooring or plywood? it's to be laid on top of concrete floor which has a DPC below, but as a added precaution,...
4
4

Toilet Continually Flushing
We recently had a new ballcock and siphon fitted in our toilet. It worked fine for a while but now, when you flush the toilet, it will keep on flushing. I had a look inside and noticed that, when...
8
8

extension - Hitchin firm
Hi all I'm thinking of putting up an extension and I have come across a builder called Home Extension Team Ltd in Hitchin, Herts. Does anyone have any experience of them, comments etc? Thanks M
1
1

check
check
4
4

dragons den chocbox
Just finished watching the repeat Dragons Den where the bloke invented a box to house the electrical choc connectors. He has made £250,000 profit in one year. I wonder how many of you electricians...
5
5

Cast Iron Insert Fireplace.
I'm about to install a CI fireplace. I did one about 10 years ago and filled the gap behind with leanmix with a strong cement mortar at the top to form the sloping outlet from the actual fire....

Light time controller
In my flat there are two time controllers, one for allowing a specified time the front passage door is open to allow postman to deliver post This is a normal controller with a 24hour clock and is easy...
11
11

testing extractor fan
Is there such a product as something which will make a non-staining "cloud" which could be released in the inside of a room so that it could be seen on the outside when the extractor fan was running ?...
7
7

No touchy the halogen
I bought a new light fitting today with halogen GU10 spotlight bulbs. The instructions said not to touch the bulbs. Now, to me, the bulb is the bit inside that looks like a car sidelight bulb, and the...
5
5

Electric Toothbrushes
We have been bought a Sonic Plakaway electric toothbrush. I thought that an electric toothbrush should be suitable to use in the bathroom, but this unit comes with a three pin fused plug, which I...
11
11

Re-wiring house
My sister is in a house that needs re-wiring. Can anyone give me a ball-park figure. House is Victorian/Edwardian, a semi, 4-storey ,4-bedroom, but a very narrow gutted workman style house in a remote...
3
3

painting a metal disco light case
Got a couple of medium sized disco lights that work well but are showing signs of age wanna strip em down and clean em / repaint them now knowing that the bulbs in these get pretty damn hot what paint...
2
2

how heavy might this oak beam be ?
Any ideas roughly how heavy (Kilo or hundredweight) an oak beam 12 inch x 12 inch x 10 ft would be ? Also then how many people should be used to lift it and carry it by hand safely ? Steve
4
4

Plug socket stopped working
Only this one, none of the others... My dishwasher was plugged into it and, all of sudden, its stopped working. Do individual plug sockets have individual fuses?
10
10