Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

washing machine on laminate flooring
on spin the WM bounces about like a good'un. should the WM have been installed in a different way? housetrained
2
2

Problem removing outdoor wall light
I want to replace an outdoor wall light but I cannot remove it from the wall. It is a modern stainless steel lantern on an arm with a circular base attached to the wall. I assumed that undoing the two...
3
3

paint a tounge-&-grouve ceiling?
Hi We have a small wooden tounge-&-grouve ceiling in our porch with knots visable that has been varnished. I would like to paint it with white emulsion. What preparation would be needed? Thank you
2
2

Morse taper
I'm intrigued to know how the machine tool taper rules work. I have a drill whose chuck is a taper fit on the spindle. It appears to me that the spind le is a Morse taper 1 (I may be wrong). If it is...
2
2

Looking for a sander with good dust extraction
I need to do some DIY over the next few months and a sander (orbital) is going t o be needed, however i don't fancy covering the whole flat in tons of dust so i was wondering are there any half decent...
2
2

Grease, no not the musical
I have just had some new double glazing put in about 3 months ago and was wondering is it advisable to put some grease on the runner to keep them running smooth plus as far as my balcony doors go stop...
2
2

Remove light scratches fron stainless steel fridge door - how (2023 Update)
Hi, How would I remove light scratches from a stainless steel fridge door that were caused by sliding a fridge magnet Thank you
3
3

laminate floor
can anyone recommend a good person to supply and fit a laminate floor to my kitchen and hallway? housetrained
1
1

Socket swap.
On our landing there is a light switch and immediately below it a "socket" which was intended for an immersion heater which has never been used. This is 1.3 metres above the skirting, and is the type...
2
2

Raised Decking - Can Anyone Recommend a Good DIY Book ?
I am thinking about building a raised deck at the rear of my house. Can anyone recommend a good DIY book which covers raised decks ?. TIA, Colin...
3
3

How to Fix an Uneven Iroko Floor Finish (2023 Update)
Been asked to get a iroko floor to look the bees knees it had been treated & looked fine until a painter left over spray on it ! My cliet sanded the d anish oil back in some places more sandin was...
1
1

Heating System
My central heating is off but the downstairs radiators are on, why
2
2

Getting Your Roof and Conservatory Cleaned: What to Ask and How to Get a Fair Price (2023 Update)
I live in aberdeen,can anybody could be the roughist idea what would be a fair price to be expected to pay for the brushing down moss etc from roof and conservatory.I live in a bungalow with a slight...
1
1

Timber Treatment Use Class 2?
Travis Perkins describe some timber as "Timber Treatment Use Class 2". What does that mean, and will it be suitable for building a garden shed out of? If it is suitable, do I need to treat it further...
2
2

White goods power consumtion
Having recently installed solar panels I'm now searching for the power cons umption of various equipment in the house and am struggling. For example, o ur kettle says it's 3 kilowatt. Fair enough, but...
2
2