Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Wall paper paste?
I have some vinyl wall paper from B&Q. it doesn't look any heavier than normal vinyl but the label says to use ready mixed paste, is this really necessary as I have a load of solvite heavy duty...
4
4

Insulation to cavity wall query.
Hi all, I'm having a conservatory built on the side of my house and the lads have been and built the base & dwarf walls, we are now awaiting delivery of the conservatory which should be in a...
6
6

Cracked concrete window sill
Hi A sizeable part of our outside bathroom windows sill has fallen off exposing the steel reinforcement within. I have no experience at all of working with concrete. Is it possible to repair a...
4
4

laying thin concrete screed
i need to raise my concrete floors by 10-15mm & have looked at chipboard/ply & underlay options & am now considering screed, is this too thin for a screed? will it crack being so thin against the...
6
6

tv/sat aerial system in a flat
i', moving into a rented flat on friday, it has a wall plate with 2 x analouge antenna connections... usual jobbies, one for radio, other for tv, above them are 2 x F type screw in connectors,...
5
5

Slippery floor tiles
Hi, Is there anything that can be applied to ceramic floor tiles to stop them being slippery? Even when dry they are dodgy if you're not wearing something without a tread, and if you come in with...
5
5

New Electric shower. pressure low when hot
Had a new electric shower put in. A Gainsborough 10Kw. When the setting is on cold, the pressure is high but when its on hot, the pressure drops right down. from centre position, where blue and red...
2
2

No heating from combi boiler
Hi, My combi boiler has just started playing up. I've got hot water - very hot - but no central heating. The 'demand' light isn't coming on and nothing happens when the clock clicks...
2
2

Coving crooked old walls!
Hi all, I've managed to get about half way around my room but now I'm only left with crooked walls - what do I do?? I have thought about nailing the coving in place but one of my walls is like...

is this wiring correct?
I posted a similar message last Friday but it never appeared, if it does apologies! My electrician wired up the new extension some weeks ago. I tried to replace a light switch in one of the bedrooms...
5
5

Help with vandals
Hope someone can give me some sensible ideas, although slightly off topic. I am currently renovating a house for rent in scotland, not in the best of areas. The house is currently vacant and has...
8
8

Back Boiler
Why does our coal fired back boiler sound like a kettle coming to the boil
1
1

Cleaning Block paving
Hi, My block paving doesn't get much sunlight in winter resulting in it going green and mossy. I wondered if anyone could reccommend something to clean it with that wouldn't harm the plants. I...
1
1

Curiousity - Bathroom Fans
Just out of curiosity, are 12V timer fans noisier than 240V fans....? I got a 12V fan and my neighbour nearly jumps out of her skin when it is switched on. I installed it correctly a few months ago...
21
21

Best way to refurbish pine bedroom furniture
I am not in the best of health and can't afford to buy a new set so wondered how much energy I would need to carry out this task and how and with what? It is 2 bedside cupboards, dressing table...