Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Windy Roof Space
Our house (end stone cottage, next to another cottage with a barn on the other end) has been much colder this year than last - to the extent that it just doesn't get warm in cold windy weather...
4
4

TRV's
SWMBO has asked me to swap our rad valves to TRV's. I have no problem in draining down and refilling etc. All the TRV's I have seen in the past have 15mm compression nuts on both ends, my rad...
13
13

Free Cavity wall insulation
My power supplier will give people like me free insulation(Over 70s).My house is first question is, if I go for it would the house next door be affected?Second question ,is this insulation all that it...
14
14

Freezer problem
Hi, Our fridge freezer is on the blink, the fridge is fine but the freezer gets way too warm. I got my air compressor out and thoroughly dusted the various bits underneath but to no avail. Door seal...
5
5

Ceramic tap valves
I purchased a sink mixer tap with 1/4 turn ceramic valves in March 2007 and the valve on the hot side has failed for the third time. Is there an inherent problem with these valves? I've checked...
2
2

Metal Sheds - Any good?
I need to put an 8*6 (ish) shed in my back garden. The garage is so full of stuff that will come in handy if I never use it, that I need to expand. I'm really tempted by a metal shed because:- 1/...
5
5

Condensation(?) in double glazing
Hi all, My double glazed back door window has become almost opaque in places due to build up of a milky residue between the panes of glass. Any hints on what to do about that?? :) Thanks, Peter. PS....
6
6

Main Fuse
There is no isolator switch between the main inlet and the fuse board. I need to turn the power off to rewire a ring. I understand one has to pull the main fuse out of the inlet. How does one do this...
18
18

Concealed Hinge adjustment
Anybody know of a good site that explains exactly how to adjust those maddening concealed hinges that are on most kitchen doors?
18
18

electrical box sinkers
Does anyone know were i can buy one that will fit a coventional drill chuckthey all seem to fit sds chucks tia Osiris Luxor --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet...
2
2

Black & Decker Workmate .. is it good for..
mitering? I've got a workmate, and I thought there would be an easy way to set it up to cut 45 degree angles.. but it's not obvious.. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks Nic
6
6

Wooden double glazing panel leaking
Hi, I have a 10 year old house with wooden double glazing. One of the panels on one of the windows has leaked and now has permanent condensation. It's one of those two-wing windows with two panes...
3
3

Ryobi EMS-2026SC
I'm buying my first mitre saw and have seen this Ryobi model...the specs look quite good. Any of you have any comments/experience (good or bad) on this particular saw? TIA, Jim
3
3

Boiler question
Whilst I am quite happy to replace the odd tap or 'plumb-in' a new washing machine, I am no plumber so would welcome a bit of advice from some of the many here who know far more about it than...
10
10

Make Some Money Giving Away Ebay Software!
You might be interested in giving away free Ebay software for some extra cash, for more information go to my splash page at Hines 239-465-5705 Skype: paulhines11