Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How to calculate KWHs into days use?Help
I have a water pump for supply to my house Checking the use over a period of 51hours I use 2.52KWH What is the usage over 24 hours Is it 2.52 divided by 51 and X by 24 ? This gives 1.18 KWH per day...
3
3

Replacing fuse box with RCD consumer unit
Are there any actual regulations that would prevent a DIY replacement of an old fuse box with a modern consumer unit? I know that strictly speaking you should call out the electricity supplier to...
5
5

wiring up door bell to CU
I want to run a supply cable from an MCB on my consumer unit to a bell trans. Is it in order to flip the CU 2 main switches to off then remove the cover and connect up with care? The only way to...
2
2

Tiny Linux touchscreen kits?
I would love to play around with a small touchscreen run by a linux core. You know, something that looks like an iPhone, but runs linux and has source code to tweak. I know about the OpenMoko Project...
1
1

Victorian small terrace mystery wood in walls
When renovating a small two up two down terrace we have noticed that lengths of wood are inserted in walls as if to be some sort of they are laid in between brick courses but only say 2 " thick but...
2
2

Painting question
We have a nice brown stained hallway staircase ...thinking about painting it all white but realise the work involved with the handrailing and all those spindles! Any advice welcome :-)
2
2

getting matching taurus skirting board
Hi, is there any way to get a reasonably cheap exact match of the taurus skirting board I already have? I need 10 metres. I need it for half my hallway (water damage) and half my living room (removed...
1
1

Depth of 'chase' into breeze block.
I am currently re-modelling my bathroom. I have had a combi boiler installed and therefore have been able to remove the airing cupboard from the bathroom and am replacing it with an offset quad shower...
2
2

Wireless Alarm System
Hi To answer your questions alarms protect an Area or area's,these can each consist of a number of zones. A zone is a specific sensor under SSAIB & NACOS rules and may perform any of a number of...
2
2

Central heating pump speed knob
I have a Circulating Pump (model CP 53) The pump itself is fine but the speed control knob has broken. I took the cover off to have a look and noticed that the plastic stem of the switch (which holds...
4
4

Rubber - Elastic Bands
Hi I am looking for Rubber - Elastic Bands 5mm long x 2/3mm wide, any help in tracking these down would be appreciated. Regards Spoon
4
4

Fire Doors
A friend of mine has a new build house and has just had carpets fitted and three doors cannot be shut due to the bottom of the door catching on the carpets. The doors a 6 panel hollow type but are...
6
6

Tap washer cartridges
Anyone know an online source for the mixer tap cartidge that contains the washers. Not ceramic, about the size of a cotton reel ,encasing washer assembly and circular plate that shuts off the flow....
1
1

replacing the bearing on an integrated indesit washing machine
The bearing has gone on our Indesit built in WM12x washing machine. Is this a doable job for an average competence householder?
5
5

Lining / insulating a concrete garage. Advice pls
Got a big concrete garage that I'd like to section off into 2 parts with the one "room" being lined and insulated to use as warm dry storage / workshop room. The other part of the garage is fine...