Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

JCB RHD950 Rotary Hammer Drill
JCB have recently released the JCBDRHD950A Rotary Hammer Drill With the JCB excavator track record, I assumed that a JCB product should be at least of sound construction and so I purchased one on...
2
2

Radiator pipes go into concrete floor advice sought
My kitchen has a radiator with pipes going into a concrete floor. I am thinking of removing it while I decorate behind it and also flush it out at the same time. As there is no play in the pipework I...
5
5

Floor Tiling under or up to skirting board?
Just preparing the kitchen floor to lay tiles and wonder what is the accepted standard: is it for putting tiles up to the wall and fixing the skirting above or leaving skirting in position (or...
2
2

Freezer water
Hi I have a 9 year hotpoint old fridge freezer, which work great except water is coming into the fridge bottom from the back drain. I have tried to clear this drain with fine wire, but made no...
4
4

Mira Sport 9.8 Shower - Intermittent Fault & Mira 'threat' of Call Out Charge
My Mira Sport 9.8 is literally days from the end of the 2 year guarantee, and has developed an intermittent fault. Two days ago, when I tried to use the shower, there was only a dribble of water...
7
7

Can't remove Bosch oven lamp cover
I've got a Bosch oven and the oven lamp needs replacing. The problem is that I cannot unscrew the threaded glass lamp cover which is set in the top of the oven. As I try to unscrew it...
1
1

Paint Rollers - Reservoir Type
I would welcome advice upon any experiences (positive and negative aspects) in using paint rollers fitted with a paint supply reservoir. The types that hold a paint charge inside the roller, or the...
6
6

Battery voltage check- query
A friend asked me to charge his 12 Volt battery and when I came to check it after being on charge my meter showed no volts but the leads became very hot so I disconnected. Can anyone give me an...
2
2

Superglue
Is the setting time of superglue (cyanoacrylate, just in case there are other types) affected by low temperature? I want to stick the fridge door tray back in place as one of the lugs is broken off....
6
6

Shower on Combi Boiler (Hudson Reed)
Hello everyone, I'm planing to install a shower over the bath on a combi boiler by using a thermostatic mixing device feeding into a fixed shower head. I have been looking at the Hudson Reed...
5
5

Fire hazard from mobile phone charger
I read just recently that a house fire had started from a mobile phone charger being left on. Does anyone know about the risks and whether it applies to other similar chargers/transformers eg cordless...
2
2

Potterton Boiler
Since 2000 we have had a Potterton Suprima 80 boiler. It worked fine for 5 years but for the last 3 years has slowly been collapsing. We have had 3 new PCBs, the last one fitted 10 days ago, and still...
5
5

Part P certification
Yet another query to do with my house sun-room extension and cabling requirements I'm afraid! As per previous postings, I've put a pair of cables in for a new ring main as far as my dining...
5
5

Conservatory Blinds
Hi folks, We're considering buying conservatory blinds online and fitting them ourselves, but was wondering if we would require both roof and window blinds, or if we could get away with only...

Vibrating plate required for foot path?
I need to put in a small foot path to my front door (3m x 1m. It will only be walked on (no vehicles). I've purchased some block paving (small brick type, approx 30-35mm deep). I'm reading on...
4
4