Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Make your own Power!
Is your Electricity bill reaching $200 or even $300 per month? Do you want to learn what you can do about it? Are you interested in off grid living,... renewable energy, solar panels, how to build...

How to repair a luton van fibreglass roof which has pin hole leaks
We have an old GPO van back which has a translucent fibreglass roof. There are pin hole leaks. What would be the easiest, quickest and cheapest way of sealing the leaks.
3
3

Plumbing problems!
I have just moved house and my dishwasher and washing machine (both cold fill only) are plumbed into the same water supply. The two hoses are connected with a Y connector. Last week while the washing...
8
8

Heavy Duty Hedge Trimming
Hi, I have a hedge that I want to really lower a lot. However, my cheap electric hedge cutter won't touch it - most of the wood is half inch in diameter and more, at that depth into the hedge. My...
6
6

protecting books and papers in storage
I want to store some papers and some books in the house roof space and also the garden shed. Being in the U.K. both places can get a bit damp. So I thought I would wrap well in a plastic bag to keep...
4
4

Soil pipes and rats
Hi Slightly off topic but is there any truth in the rumour that rats can enter a house through a toilet.? Long story but I have an open soil pipe in my conservatory and have found rat droppings. First...
7
7

matt paint
Is it possible to "seal" matt paint to make it more stain/scuff resistent? Just done a hall stairs and landing in a burnt orange matt emulsion, we had to use matt as the walls are pretty rough and...
1
1

Compression Fittings 22mm/ 3 quarter inch imperial
Hello All I have to fit a 22mm compression fitting valve into a copper pipe which may be either 22mm or 3/4 inch. Is a 22mm compression fitting compatible with a 3/4 inch pipe should this prove to be...
7
7

Waste pipes
I'm about to rejig the waste pipes in the bathroom, and I had assumed that 40mm and 32mm were direct replacements for 1 1/2" and 1 1/4". But one fitting I've got says on it 11/2" (38mm) The...
3
3

Failed refrigerator
Milk started going off quite quickly so checked temperature and at both ends of the Temp adjustment 12C Not old but out of warranty Condensation in fridge How can I check to see if it is somthing...
6
6

Araldite
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle hole that is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind the crack before it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive...
17
17

garden fence at right-angle to house
We wish to straighten and 'position correctly' the garden fence that we share with a neighbour in an adjoining terraced house. What is the best way to get the fence at exactly right angles to...
31
31

Condensation in double glazing
Can anyone suggest a way of stopping a sealed double glazing unit from getting condensation inside? Apart from simply replacing it that is. Mike
8
8

CCTV Suppliers
Can anyone recommend an online supplier of CCTV equipment for small office/home use that will give good advice via email phone? (Apologies if this is a duplicate copy, previous copy seemed to go into...

White paint for resisting yellowing
What is the best white paint for woodwork for resisting yellowing? I used to use B&Q Everwhite, but it has been discontinued. Cheers
4
4