Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fluorescent Tubes
Also, many fittings aimed at domestic use don't have the starter so easily accessible, as it doesn't normally die in domestic use (what really kills them is being left trying to start a dead tube for...
6
6

Shower Installation
I have seen something similar but it was portable (rechergable batteries). I could try to get the details if the OP wanted me to. Adam
2
2

reopening a closed fireplace to burn solid fuel
Well, yes, a gas fire with hot coals sounds ideal and practical, but I'm standing firm here and going for a solid fuel fire with a clay fireback. I can always install a small gas fire with a basket of...
4
4

Oak flooring problem
To restore balance to the world redmond175 wrote in DBifl.31816$ Pull it and relay ! Chris
1
1

Boiler pressure
Is a pressure drop on my new combi boiler due to a leak? It will go from the high end on the pressure gauge green section to the low end in about a week/week and a half. I have a fancy heated towel...
1
1

Removing expanding foam from clothes
*nods*, as the one who trod wet foam onto a carpet. BTW another amazing use for expanding foam in this weather.... If you have cracks on your fingers from the cold weather you will know how difficult...
5
5

Fitting radiator thermo control valves
Nice one. Actually the screwfix one may be better value for money as it fits 15mm and 22mm
6
6

Saving ?100's
Actually my doctor is a good friend and car enthusiast with a nice OBDII diagnostic kit which has saved me loads in the years I've known him. He's not an expert mechanic but he's a wealth of knowledge...
2
2

Sealant Question
The external sill should be tongued and glued into the frame. If a gap has opened up the proper way to repair would be to remove the sill and re-fix. If you can't do this I would think about using a...
1
1

Fitting tumble dryer wall vent
That will approximately double the running cost though.
2
2

Smell of Smoke
Was just round at next door's having a night of dinner and live music. Came out to see another couple to their car and grab some fresh air, opened my own door and then spotted smoke coming out of...
1
1

How to sue a cowboy builder?
Employ (at your cost initially) a quallified building surveyor to check THE WHOLE job for faulty workmanship and items not meeting building regs then send a copy to the builder via your solicitor,...
5
5

Frame sealant
Agree with previous posting - silicone stuff is only suitable for waterproofing showers etc. and its a b*gger to get off if you ever need to! Good quality water based frame sealants will typically...
2
2

Combi Pressure Variable
Thanks for the replies. I am going to have a proper look over the holidays and don't see any problem topping up the expansion vessel. I'll post how it goes afterwards Thanks again
1
1

BTU Calculation
Hello all, I'm trying to work out some rad sizes. I have come across some sites that do this and have also stumbled upon the Mears reckoner. Does anybody know the calculations involved? I...