Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

leaking cistern
I have toilet cistern that has a very slow drip from the bottom . I have checked the pipes entering & leavoing the cistern and I dont think the water is coming from them. If I am right then maybe...
14
14

12V vacuum pump
Folks - looking for a 12v vacuum pump for a little project I'm working on, which I need to get roughly the same air suction as a handheld vacuum cleaner (e.g. dustbuster). I've had a browse on...
1
1

Self-closing door
Most of the doors in my home swing open or closed on their own - there's no special mechanism or hinge (they're all standard), it's just the way they were hung originally. I'd like one...
7
7

Soundproofing
We have an unused door between the main house and the annex which we let as a holiday apartment. The door is between out TV room and a passageway in the annex, close to the annex lounge. The door is...
8
8

Energy Saving
I bought myself one of those little energy monitoring units really easy to set up and use. Identified potential savings already which will more than pay for the unit in less than a year. I set the...
8
8

elec boilers re gas boilers
I just had a =A3900 dual fuel bill with most being the gas. The gas works out at around 145kWh daily which may be largely down to a 15year old Worcester boiler which is rated at 24kW. In considering a...
6
6

Painting ceiling question
Any tips on how to achieve a reasonably straight line at the corner of ceilings and walls. Going to paint the ceiling, then a couple days later will paint the walls - always seem to get a bit of wall...
4
4

How best to block a hole!
Recently had a field-mouse in the kitchen. Didn't take long to catch it - but I was initially puzzled as to how it had got into the house. We have UPVC doors front and back, and all the airbricks...
19
19

DIY Car De-froster
Here's a handy little tip we use in our car for when it's cold and frosty. Fill a hot water bottle and place it on the drivers side of the dash. Turn the vents on a low speed and whilst the...
9
9

Automatic centre punch
Touch of optimism here, but does anyone know the size of the little steel ball in a M&W automatic centre punch Cat No 208, or where I might get one? Desperation setting in, any advice appreciated....
2
2

Kitchen Lighting System
I'm planning a new kitchen and want to get the lighting as right as possible and would welcome advice. Underneath the wall cupboards, I am thinking of just fitting florescent tubes to illuminate...
8
8

RCD occasional tripping
A friend of mine rents a flat out and the tenant has just advised that the RCD tripped out whilst the tenant was on holiday (result - fridge/freezer defrosted). Apparently it has tripped on occasions...
10
10

Wiring Question
I have an exterior light (installed by the previous owner) currently wired into a fused spur from the lighting circuit. The switch was located inside a built-in wardrobe/cupboard but has now become...
4
4

240v dichroic suddenly shining bright
I was doing some work in a new shower room today, it's got two 240 downlights in it. Normally 240v a bit yellow compared to a 12v. I accidentally knocked one with a tall piece of board and noticed...
2
2

Return packaging
Hi A few weeks ago my aunt-in-law bought an outside movement PIR light from B&Q and had it fitted at the back door. All was well for a few weeks and then it stopped working. She has had the...
26
26