Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Low level house noise. Constant hum, any ideas?
A noise, which sounds like a quieter version of a computer Power Supply running, is noticeable in our house. I particularly notice it when trying to sleep. I thought I had tinnitus, but after a week...
13
13

rendering a wall: Lime or admixture?
I've recently completed a block retaining wall in my garden that I now want to render. In the past, I have gone the traditional route and used 50/50 sand, cement and lime. However, last week...

Ceiling Boards
The garage being converted is, as I've previously mentioned, 4900mm x 2480mm - i.e. just bigger than would be ideal for the 2400 x 1200 sizes of everything. As my walling+insulation will be over...

Polyfoam Board
With the flooring now complete, I've next got the first-fix of electrics, and then the ceiling to complete in the garage. However, I'm looking ahead to the wall insulation. Originally, I was...
4
4

Freezers in Sheds/Garages ?
I have an old Scandinova chest freezer that sits in my (unheated) shed. It does the job very well but is not very energy efficient. I have been looking in to replacing it with a more efficient model,...
17
17

power hand circular saw question
Want to buy one for cutting melamine-faced chipboard neatly without chipping off the melamine. I imagine this means having to also buy a chipboard-cutting blade to replace the supplied one. Noticed on...
6
6

Re: Low ?
So low that it's gone past the bottom of my monitor! :-) Could you try typing your question/comment a bit higher please Ash? To help with your calculations to get the word in the right place -...
1
1

Earth Bonding - No Earth Terminal on Incoming Mains Supply
I have just discovered that my house has no earth connection provided by the electricity supply company. It has in effect an old sub mains pair of red and black cotton/resin covered tails coming...
12
12

Re Sripping off a metal garage door
We have a single up and over garage door over 20 years old. Even though it has been painted on a regular basis, this last Winter the paint has bubbled in quite a few places. I am not sure as to...
5
5

RSJ sizes
We are looking to remove a wall between the dinning room and the kitchen as the wall we want to remove a load bearing wall (two story house) is there a way of working out what size RSJ we would need?...
1
1

Combi Boiler problems
Some time ago I had a problem with my Vokera 24 so got a corgi engineer to come fix it, out of curiosity I enquired about the price to replace it and he told me he would have to do all the gas...
3
3

Bath tap problem - help?
We have a mixer/shower tap on our bath - one of those with a lever that switches between tap and shower. The tap works perfectly, but the washer that provides the seal to stop the shower working is...

18"- 24" Diameter Round Flourescent tube lamp ("Oyster lamps"?)
I want to get rid of halogen spot lighting in my kitchen 1/ It consumes about 5,000,000 gygawatts per second 2/ It's already blown up whole fuse box once and i can still smell burning every time...
9
9

Mystery mesh
Hi Folks, I have a little mystery for you. I have recently been re fixing some loose floor boards (bloody plumbers) in the back bedroom and have been reminded of an unusual fixture in the house. Above...
5
5

Where to spend? windows versus boiler
Want to reduce heating bills, mid terrace Victorian house new CH system 20-25 yrs ago (Ideal Elan boiler), original sash windows some with very good plastic anti-draught parting beads, some windows a...
10
10